Pop Warner is the leading national youth football governing body. The National Football Commissioner position is primarily responsible for leading Pop Warner’s youth football programs. This includes development and management of tackle football, 7v7 football, rookie tackle and flag football, as well as national and regional competitions, and any camps, clinics and training. This position also has supervision of regional football operations, and works closely with other departments, including cheer & dance and scholastics. For more information related to our mission and programs, please visit www.popwarner.com.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Practice and support visionary leadership that helps grow and sustain Pop Warner specifically and youth football in general.
- Exhibit a sense of mission in committing to Pop Warner’s vision, mission, core values and strategic priorities.
- Pursue new opportunities for growth, including attracting new leagues and association members, as well as creating programs that drive more participants.
- Provide effective governance and guidance on rules and regulations to simultaneously maximize athlete safety, provide local benefit, and achieve organizational growth.
- Ensure members are in compliance with all national rules and regulations, that training and education of coaches and athletes are being implemented, and that safe and fair competition is the standard.
- Develop resources and services that provide administrative benefits to member leagues and associations, coaches and families.
- Contribute to governance, operations and marketing communications assets, including the official rulebook, administrative manual and other resources.
- Plan and execute the annual Pop Warner Super Bowl national championship, as well as oversee all regional football championship events.
- Collaborate with colleagues to drive key agendas set by the national organization; may be directly responsible for different initiatives.
- Maintain and develop positive working relationships with member representatives including leaders, coaches and volunteers; football industry stakeholders; corporate partners and vendors, and other companies and individuals involved with Pop Warner.
- Bachelor’s degree required, Business or Sport Management degree preferred
- 7-9 years of previous management experience required, preferably in a sports and recreation setting
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Quick learner on software programs; existing registration and roster software experience preferred
- Outstanding communication skills (oral and written)
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team
- Excellent time management, multi-tasking and prioritization skills
- Strong critical thinking, problem-solving and conflict resolution skills
Pop Warner is led by a national staff that is supported by an extended staff of regional volunteers – the regional management teams. Its participant members include leagues, associations and families that are primarily located across the United States.
The National Football Commissioner position will require flexibility, as it includes some travel, as well as occasional weeknight and weekend hours to engage with our network of volunteers.
Pop Warner is a small staff, so employees are often needed to assist in different areas. The above job description describes the general nature of the specific position, but it not intended to be an exhaustive list of all work performed.