Girls Lacrosse Coach
Reports to: Director of Girls Lacrosse & Executive Director
Academy Camps is an overnight sports-specific sleepaway experience on the campus of Suffield Academy in Northern Connecticut. We are seeking a Girls Lacrosse Coach to be a member of our coaching staff. We have a total of three 2-week sessions that run from June 23rd to August 2nd - with potential opportunity to coach 1, 2, or all 3 sessions. This is a turn-key role that allows you to focus on helping athletes get better in their sport without all the operational and logistical hurdles - you don’t even need to bring your own cones!
Who we are
Academy Camps is a modern approach to the sports camp experience. We offer 1- and 2-week sessions for Boys & Girls age 10 - 15 interested in lacrosse, basketball, soccer or tennis. Our campers choose one of our four "Academy Sports" and receive 2 intensive training sessions per day with our high-performance coaching staff.
We are a dedicated team of high performance coaches, nurturing & exemplary counselors, and experienced camp professionals, passionate about the 'whole athlete'. Outside of sports specific training sessions, AC is distinguished in delivering programming focused on its pillars of Performance, Wellness, Mindset, and Leadership mixed in with a healthy dose of fun through a daily schedule of traditional sleepaway camp activities.
Our Girls Lacrosse Coach is responsible for supporting our Director of Girls Lacrosse to deliver a program aimed to improve physical, mental, and emotional skills for our athletes. With your coaching, athletes will focus on improving their sports specific skills, game IQ, love of the game, and overall physical fitness. The program will also teach confidence, growth mindset, and teamwork skills. In addition to coaching our camper athletes, our Coaches have responsibilities as to mentor and support the team of Assistant Girls Lacrosse Coaches.
We have a total of three 2-week sessions that run from June 23rd to August 2nd. Our lacrosse program is unique in that it is tailored to skill level: Session 1 for beginners, Session 2 for intermediate, and Session 3 for advanced. There is a potential opportunity to coach 1, 2, or all 3 sessions.
COACH LIFE -
- Implement the coaching strategies outlined in the 11-day Academy Camps Girls Lacrosse Program to support athletes in achieving their goals
- Mentor camper athletes to foster athletic, emotional, and social growth
- Apply basic youth development principles in working with campers and staff through communication, relationship development, respect for diversity, involvement, and empowerment of youth
- Support the Girls Lacrosse Coaching Team to complete the Girls Lacrosse Camper Athlete Evaluation for every Girls Lacrosse athlete
CAMP LIFE -
- Assist in the planning of, and participate as a member of the camp team to deliver and supervise evening programs, special events, and other all-camp activities and camp functions
- Actively participate in all staff training & meetings
- Prepare for, accept feedback, and constructively problem-solve during supervision sessions
Additional opportunity to participate in the Camper Referral Program:
- Earn referral bonuses by driving the camper recruiting process by identifying and recruiting prospective athletes
Your Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- 3+ years experience coaching, required, and with certifications, preferred
- Experience working with youth in sports or educational programs
- An excellent relationship builder - quick to connect, build trust, and rapport
- A goal-oriented coach - motivated to help our athletes achieve their goals
- A creative problem-solver - with an empathetic approach to customer service, team management, and ability to ask for help when needed
- A growth mindset - an orientation towards learning and development; willing to receive and implement feedback and learn from mistakes
Expectations, Compensation, and Benefits
- Available and on-site for the dates of your session(s), staff orientation, and post-camp:
- Staff Orientation: June 16 - 22
- Session 1: June 23 - July 5
- Session 2: July 6 - 19
- Session 3: July 20 - August 2
- Post-camp: August 2 - 3
- Option to reside on campus (room and board included), commute daily, or a mix of the two. Potential opportunity to coach 1, 2, or all 3 sessions.
- The AC compensation package is competitive and is commensurate with skills and experience. Compensation for a full summer commitment is $5,000 - 7,000, includes room and board (with the option to commute daily), and offers the opportunity to grow with Academy Camps as our presence expands regionally and nationally.
- Follow camp staff rules and regulations as outlined in the Academy Camps Staff Playbook