Assistant Tennis Coach
Reports to: Director of Tennis & Executive Director
Academy Camps is an overnight sports-specific sleepaway experience on the campus of Suffield Academy in Northern Connecticut. We are seeking an Assistant Tennis Coach to be a member of our coaching staff.
Who we are
Academy Camps is a modern approach to the sports camp experience. We offer 1- and 2-week sessions for Boys & Girls age 10 - 15 interested in tennis, basketball, soccer or lacrosse. Our campers choose one of our four "Academy Sports" and receive 2 intensive training sessions per day with our high-performance coaching staff.
We are a dedicated team of high performance coaches, nurturing & exemplary counselors, and experienced camp professionals, passionate about the 'whole athlete'. Outside of sports specific training sessions, AC is distinguished in delivering programming focused on its pillars of Performance, Wellness, Mindset, and Leadership mixed in with a healthy dose of fun through a daily schedule of traditional sleepaway camp activities.
Our Assistant Tennis Coach will be responsible for supporting our Director of Tennis and Tennis Coach(es) to deliver a program aimed to improve physical, mental, and emotional skills for our athletes. With your coaching, athletes will focus on improving their sports specific skills, game IQ, love of the game, and overall physical fitness. The program will also teach confidence, growth mindset, and teamwork skills.
In addition to sports coaching, our Assistant Coaches have responsibilities as Dorm Counselors. In collaboration with your co-dorm counselor, you will oversee a group of 10-15 campers throughout the day. During a day at camp you will be assigned to various camp activities - like running a camp elective or serving as a Head Coach for our AC Cup. By injecting the camp spirit into moments of play, you help to reduce the pressures and expectations that come with being a young athlete today.
COACH LIFE -
- Implement the coaching strategies outlined in the 11-day Academy Camps Tennis Program to support athletes in achieving their goals
- Mentor camper athletes to foster athletic, emotional, and social growth
- Apply basic youth development principles in working with campers and staff through communication, relationship development, respect for diversity, involvement, and empowerment of youth
DORM LIFE -
- Live in a dorm with other coaches and work in concert with co-counselors to effectively manage the dorm as a unified team and to ensure a quality camp experience for every camper
- Get to know every camper well and respond to their individual needs
- Encourage, support and set limits for campers to support the camper’s physical and emotional health
- Teach campers to develop good self-care and independent living skills
- Be a quality role model for children, maintain general dorm cleanliness, and be safety conscious at all times
CAMP LIFE -
- Assist in the planning of, and participate as a member of the camp team to deliver and supervise evening programs, special events, and other all-camp activities and camp functions.
- Actively participate in all staff training & meetings
- Prepare for, accept feedback, and constructively problem-solve during supervision sessions
Your Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- 4+ years of competitive playing experience (required), competing at the collegiate level (preferred)
- Experience working with youth in sports or educational programs
- An excellent relationship builder - quick to connect, build trust, and rapport
- A goal-oriented coach - motivated to help our athletes achieve their goals
- A creative problem-solver - with an empathetic approach to customer service, team management, and ability to ask for help when needed
- A growth mindset - an orientation towards learning and development; willing to receive and implement feedback and learn from mistakes
Expectations, Compensation, and Benefits
- Available and on-site for full summer season including staff orientation and post-camp:
- Staff Orientation: June 16 - 22
- Session 1: June 23 - July 5
- Session 2: July 6 - 19
- Session 3: July 20 - August 2
- Post-camp: August 2 - 3
- The AC compensation package is competitive and is commensurate with skills and experience. Compensation is $3,000 - 5,000 and includes room and board.
- Reside on campus (room and board included) - you will share a room with a co-dorm counselor who is also supporting residential life at camp
- Follow camp staff rules and regulations as outlined in the Academy Camps Staff Playbook