USL Work Experience Program - Spring 2019
Job Title: Legal UWEP
Position Type: Internship - For College Credit Hours Only
Location: Tampa, FL (USL Headquarters)
Overview of the United Soccer League (USL)
United Soccer League is one of the largest operators of soccer properties in the United States. USL currently owns and operates a Division II professional league (USL - Championship), a Division III professional league (League One - Launching in 2019), a pre-professional U23 league (League Two), and an elite level youth soccer league (Super Y League). Headquartered in Tampa, Florida, the USL provides unparalleled club support with a growing team of more than 50 professionals across 17 departments, ranging from operations to digital, communications, and club services.
Under the direction and guidance of USL Executives and Leaders (mentors), the USL Work Experience Program (UWEP) provides students with the unique opportunity to gain practical sport management experience in a professional sports league setting. By working on various strategic projects and initiatives, UWEP participants will gain hands on experience with league staff as well as its member teams.
Participants are tasked with and responsible for working within a specialized department but will interact with all league departments across the organization including: finance, business development, digital, marketing, team services, analytics, and more, with the ultimate goal of providing well-rounded practical work experience in sports to students.
Under the direction of the General Counsel, Associate Counsel, and Contracts Manager the Legal UWEP is responsible for assisting on projects that include general contract law, franchising, sponsorships/broadcasting agreements, player contracts, as well as providing support in a multitude of other legal capacities.
Duties and Responsibilities
Specific duties include, but are not limited to:
· Assist with the creation of documents, agreements, and correspondence
· General document review
· Maintaining League contract databases
· Conducting legal research and compilation of information
· Work with other areas of the business – communications, marketing, analytics etc. – to assist with any related legal issues
· Sit-in on legal related conference calls
- Participant must be a current law student at an accredited law school and must certify that they are able to receive college credit from an accredited law college or university for their participation.
- Must have the ability to handle confidential information.
- Strong writing/drafting skills.
- Solid computer skills and proficiency with MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint are a must.
- Excellent verbal communication skills are required.
- Positive attitude and strong work ethic a must. Must have a “team-first” mentality with an eagerness to learn.
- Should be extremely organized and detail oriented, with a focus on quality and consistency.
- Ability to work under fluid deadlines and complete tasks in a timely and efficient manner.
- Knowledge of sports/soccer is preferred, but not required.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.