United Soccer League
Job Title: Vice President, Merchandising & Licensing
Position Type: Full-Time
Location: Tampa, FL (USL Headquarters)
Overview of the United Soccer League (USL)
The United Soccer League (USL) is the heartbeat of American soccer. Impacting more than 200 communities across the United States, the USL is the first and only soccer organization in the United States to build a youth-to-professional pathway for both men and women within one ecosystem. That structure includes three professional leagues: USL Super League (women), USL Championship (men), and USL League One (men); two pre-professional leagues: USL League Two (men) and the USL W League (women); and two youth platforms: USL Academy and USL Youth.
Authentic, vital, and exciting, the USL is dedicated to providing an inclusive and memorable soccer experience for players, fans, and communities across our growing "soccer nation."
The VP, Merchandising & Licensing will devise and lead USL’s growth strategies across multiple consumer product categories. This position will provide leadership and delivery of League level activities, along with providing support and counsel at the Club level. The ideal candidate will have a proven track record of successfully building, maintaining, and growing merchandise sales, licensing, product placement and will have established relationships with key partners within the athletic supplier industry.
The right candidate will have experience communicating across the organization, including to club owners, and collaborating with key Executives from multiple business functions to maximize sales and growth strategies.
Duties and Responsibilities
Specific duties include, but are not limited to:
- Develop and implement league-wide consumer products, merchandising, and licensing strategies that deliver long-term value for our fans, clubs, and league.
- Prepare sales goals, develop consumer product strategies and evaluate results to ensure that departmental and organizational objectives and operating requirements are met.
- Build out Company’s sales capabilities that align with Company’s corporate objectives, through the ideal mix of internal and external sales resources.
- Maintain detailed knowledge of company products, innovation pipeline, and corporate strategy in relation to consumer products, merchandising and licensing.
- Oversee product development and sourcing activities at the League level and assist Clubs with similar activities.
- Strengthen and grow direct sales relationships with key partners.
- Develop and track sales forecasts and communicate actively with Executive Team on progress.
- Oversee department budget and deliver against key performance metrics.
- Maintain awareness of general economic conditions, industry, and competitive dynamics, and determine the potential impact on revenue and profitability for the Company.
- Work closely with departments to oversee quality control review of all office materials and third-party use of team and corporate trademarks.
- Supervise licensing of USL and team trademarks for film, television, and print productions.
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Marketing, or related field required; MBA preferred.
- 8-10 years of experience in the industry.
- 8-10 years of increasing sales and/or marketing/licensing leadership experience.
- Established contacts and sales relationships within sports/athletic industries for consumer products, merchandising, and/or licensing.
- Previous responsibility for developing sales and channel strategies for new consumer product launches.
- Proven success managing all personnel and functions associated with consumer product sales.
- Previous experience with an omnichannel sales strategy.
- Proven effectiveness when working under pressure and flexibility to accommodate rapid change.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to schedule and prioritize multiple work streams effectively.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills to effectively interact with team members, executives, member clubs, and external partners.
- Ability to work independently in a multi-faceted, fast, fluid, and deadline-driven environment.
- Positive attitude and strong work ethic a must.
- Ability to work as business needs require which may include long days, evenings, weekends, occasional holidays, and travel if / when necessary.
- Must have U.S. work authorization.
Based in Tampa, FL, USL Headquarters provides a vibrant and open working environment designed to promote collaboration, the exchange of ideas, and knowledge sharing. We believe in fostering a culture that encourages creativity, communication, and teamwork.
Currently, USL HQ operates on a hybrid work model. From Monday to Thursday, team members gather in person to harness the power of face-to-face collaboration. This not only strengthens the bonds within the team but also enhances communication and innovation. On Fridays, we transition to a remote work setup, providing our team with the flexibility to manage their tasks in an environment of their choosing.
Typical USL HQ hours are Monday – Friday 8:30am – 5:30pm ET. Evenings, weekends, occasional holidays, and travel may be necessary based on business demands.
We have great Perks - Comprehensive Benefits Package • Medical, Dental, Vision • Health HSA and FSA • 401k w/ up to 6% company match • Pet Insurance • Corporate Discounts • Paid Vacation, Holiday & Sick Days • Business Casual Dress • Optional Remote Work Fridays • And More!
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital or veteran status, or any other protected class.