United Soccer League
Job Title: Vice President, Consumer Products
Position Type: Full Time
Location: Tampa, FL (USL Headquarters)
Overview of the United Soccer League (USL)
The United Soccer League (USL) is shaping the future of soccer in America. We are the nation’s largest and fastest-growing professional soccer organization, bringing the world’s game to more and more communities across the United States and Canada. Based in Tampa, Fla., the USL oversees multiple professional and elite pre-professional leagues, including the USL Championship, USL Super League, USL League One, USL League Two, USL W League, USL Academy, and Super Y League.
We are authentic to the spirit of the game, honoring the dedication of the players, the passion of the supporters, and the culture of the clubs. We believe in the power of soccer to unite people, provide unique life experiences, and have a meaningful impact in local communities. We work as a team, challenge the status quo, and strive to make everyone feel welcome.
United Soccer League is the proud recipient of Front Office Sports' 2021 & 2022 Best Employers in Sports and Tampa Bay Business Journal's Coolest Office Spaces.
The VP, Consumer Products will devise and lead USL’s growth strategies across multiple consumer product categories. This position will provide leadership and delivery of League level activities, along with providing support and counsel at the Club level. The ideal candidate will have a proven track record of successfully building, maintaining, and growing merchandise sales, licensing, product placement and will have established relationships with key partners within the athletic supplier industry.
The right candidate will have experience communicating across the organization, including to club owners, and collaborating with key Executives from multiple business functions to maximize sales and growth strategies.
Duties and Responsibilities
Specific duties include, but are not limited to:
- Develop and implement a league-wide consumer-products strategy that delivers long-term value for our fans, clubs, and league.
- Prepare sales goals, develop consumer product strategies and evaluate results to ensure that departmental and organizational objectives and operating requirements are met.
- Build out Company’s sales capabilities that align with Company’s corporate objectives, through the ideal mix of internal and external sales resources.
- Maintain detailed knowledge of company products, innovation pipeline, and corporate strategy in relation to consumer products and licensing.
- Oversee product development and sourcing activities at the League level and assist Clubs with similar activities.
- Strengthen and grow direct sales relationships with key partners.
- Develop and track sales forecasts and communicate actively with Executive Team on progress.
- Oversee department budget and deliver against key performance metrics.
- Maintain awareness of general economic conditions, industry, and competitive dynamics, and determine the potential impact on revenue and profitability for the Company.
- Work closely with departments to oversee quality control review of all office materials and third-party use of team and corporate trademarks.
- Supervise licensing of USL and team trademarks for film, television, and print productions.
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Marketing, or related field required; MBA preferred.
- 8-10 years of experience in the industry.
- 8-10 years of increasing sales and/or marketing/licensing leadership experience.
- Established contacts and sales relationships within sports/athletic industries for consumer products and/or licensing.
- Previous responsibility for developing sales and channel strategies for new consumer product launches.
- Proven success managing all personnel and functions associated with consumer product sales.
- Previous experience with an omnichannel sales strategy.
- Proven effectiveness when working under pressure and flexibility to accommodate rapid change.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to schedule and prioritize multiple work streams effectively.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills to effectively interact with team members, executives, member clubs, and external partners.
- Ability to work independently in a multi-faceted, fast, fluid, and deadline-driven environment.
- Positive attitude and strong work ethic a must.
- Ability to work as business needs require which may include long days, evenings, weekends, occasional holidays, and travel if / when necessary.
- Must have U.S. work authorization.
We have great Perks - Comprehensive Benefits Package • Medical, Dental, Vision & Pet Insurance • Health HSA and FSA • 401k w/ up to 6% match • Corporate Discounts • Paid Vacation, Holiday & Sick Days • Business Casual Dress • Casual Dress Fridays • And More!
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital or veteran status, or any other protected class.