Oakland Roots Sports Club is a professional soccer club set to compete in United Soccer Leagues - Championship division (USL-C).
More than just a club, more than just a game. Oakland Roots Sports Club seeks to harness the magic of Oakland and the beautiful game of soccer as a force for social good.
Whether on the pitch, in the stands, or within the community, Oakland Roots will represent our one-of-a-kind city with passion, pride, and commitment to all things Oakland.
Player by player. Supporter by supporter. Resident by resident. One day at a time. One game at a time. This is about Oakland first, always.
Overview of Responsibilities:
The ideal candidate will have the drive and desire to excel within the daily high-performance demands of a professional soccer team. The candidate will thrive in a setting where the balance between exerting appropriate pressure and not enacting unnecessary stress is often blurred due to internal and external circumstances, which may unpredictably change (i.e., team performance, media/press expectations, ownership expectations, etc.…). Through these pressures, the candidate will be someone who can maintain positivity and calm within the team setting to ensure that motivation and buy-in from the players remain high and the team can perform effectively.
Beyond the field, the ideal candidate is someone who can thrive in a community club environment and demonstrate a commitment to continual refinement and improvement, daily, of our team and players to meet the ongoing performance demands of the club.
You are a person that works well in a team-oriented environment. You can inspire, delegate and motivate others. As a leader, you are professional, respectful, resourceful, organized, and a good communicator. In addition, you have a strong work ethic and lead by example.
The Head Coach reports directly to the Technical Director and VP of Football and works cooperatively with the President.
The Head Coach is responsible for:
● Working with the TD and VP of Football to set the annual team performance goals ● Working with the TD and VP of Football to implement the vision for our club’s “way of playing” ● Working with the TD and VP of Football to oversee all aspects of building a professional soccer
roster and managing that roster, both during the competitive league season and in the offseason
● Working with the TD and VP of Football to oversee any player personnel decisions relating to the acquisition of a player into our club or the exit of a player from our club, including any loaning out or selling of a player to another club
● Plan, conduct, and evaluate daily training sessions for the team, group/individual, as needed to meet the team performance demands
● Plan, conduct, and evaluate the game plan and in-game adjustments, analysis of performance and ● Overseeing the assistant coaches and supporting technical staff in their day to day management of the players and specifically as it relates to player development and team performance ● Overseeing and managing the assistant coaches and supporting technical staff, providing performance evaluations and working with the staff to achieve their personal development goals to improve their ability to perform within and for our club
● Discuss Pre and Post-Game meetings (Phone or in-person) with the TD to overview the team performance and provide feedback to the TD on the team and players in general ● Conduct weekly technical staff meetings to overview the upcoming week and logistical needs from the staff
● Participate in community events and club activations, service as needed
Competencies and Skills Required:
1. Minimum of a National USSF A Coaching license or its international equivalent (UEFA), with National A preferred
2. Experience in directly hiring, managing, mentoring, and motivating highly qualified, elite coaching personnel and supporting technical staff (medical, performance, psychology, etc.) 3. Experience in directly managing, mentoring, and motivating professional soccer players 4. An ability to think and plan strategically and effectively link technical planning with broader Club goals and strategic intent
5. Strong communication skills and an ability to convey technical planning to non-technical stakeholders, including investors and other board members or community stakeholders, media/press, etc.
6. A team player with an ability to operate as part of an integrated multi-functional management team
7. Strong use of technology and various software applications, including G-Suite (docs, sheets, slides) and other potentially advantageous soccer software applications
10. Must undergo a Background and Criminal Record Check
Knowledge and Experience:
● Experience in professional soccer in a leadership capacity or senior staff role ● An in-depth understanding of the US Soccer landscape as about the youth, collegiate, and professional soccer ranks
● Extensive personal and professional networks across the multiple tiers of US Soccer (youth, college, amateur/semi-pro, pro)
● An in-depth understanding of the governing rules of US Soccer and FIFA as it relates to signing professional players as well as any dealing relating to the loaning out or transfer of professional players from one club to another
● An in-depth understanding of trends in modern professional soccer as they relate to any performance aspect of our club and team
● An in-depth understanding of player development and the playing demands of soccer at the professional level
● An in-depth understanding of the day to day realities of professional soccer at the lower league level
● The Head Coach reports directly to the Technical Director
Terms and Compensation:
● Year 1; TBD 2021-December 2021:
● Year 2; January 2022-December 2022:
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.