Major League Soccer (MLS) and its Teams Jobs!
Manager of Communications - New York City FC ( New York · NY)
REPORTING TO: Senior Director of Communications
LOCATION: New York, NY
In consultation with NYCFC’s Senior Director of Communications, this Manager will help execute the non-football portions of the department’s communications plan by:
- Proactively conducting outreach to media and responding to direct media inquiries
- Reactively addressing issues with consultation and media monitoring
- Internal Communications – NYCFC employees, connection to wider CFG group
- Community Communications and Public Affairs – City in the Community, elected officials, supporters and other fan groups, local media
- Hospitality/Protocol – Club VIPs, celebrities, influencers, partners, prospects
- Commercial/Corporate Communications – Partners, prospects, business media, awards
- Proactive Lifestyle Communications – General consumers and lifestyle media who have not traditionally shown interest in soccer
Responsibility Area 1: Internal Communications
- Develop short, medium and long-term internal communications plans in line with City Football Group (CFG) strategies working with Senior Manager, CFG Internal Communications, Catherine Smith.
- Deliver NYCFC’s internal communications plans to ensure confidential information remains private and need-to-know information is properly relayed to respective parties in a timely manner.
- Work across NYCFC departments to develop storylines, write high quality feature stories and original content to be uploaded to our Group intranet site, SAP Jam, and across other Club channels.
- Evaluate and develop NYCFC’s internal communications channels to ensure best-practice and efficiency across the organization.
- Share press releases across departments under embargo at an at-need basis.
- Check alignment with CFG sister clubs, specifically those in Manchester and Melbourne.
- Encourage colleagues to contribute to internal communications.
- Work closely with NYCFC Human Resources team to drive employee engagement and motivation through event planning.
- Deepen an understanding of Club and Group business priorities by developing key messages and talking points for specific departments, including: fan services, ticketing, partnerships, marketing and content.
Responsibility Area 2: Community Communications and Public Affairs
- Lead weekly Community/Communications Team weekly calls, develop agenda, and manage communications teams planning for City in the Community initiatives
- Generate earned media for City in the Community (CITC) Foundation and other NYCFC community events/campaigns, with a particular focus on New York City Soccer Initiative (NYCSI).
- Develop storylines and identify opportunities for media access at fan-focused engagements to increase general awareness of NYCFC community initiatives and media coverage.
- Develop media assets, including press releases and media alerts, to proactively pitch media to attend Club-led events and player appearances.
- Develop messaging documents to ensure staff engagement and understanding of Club values.
- Develop hyperlocal media lists, especially in outer boroughs, and build relationships with reporters from these outlets.
- Work with senior management and colleagues across NYCFC and CFG to ensure strategic invites are prioritized and distributed before NYCFC matches.
- Host Club VIPs/guests/prospects/partners in hospitality suites at home games at Yankee Stadium and provide unique experiences to key stakeholders.
- Support influencer marketing initiatives and hosting influencers/celebrities at matches.
- Maintain match day itineraries for significant Club guests including VIPs, partners and business prospects.
- Input and maintain VIP database.
- Liaise with necessary departments prior to/on match day: Operations, Partnerships and Ticketing.
- Matchday support at all NYCFC home games.
- Assist Communications team with hosting and VIP management at all other media-facing and high-profile Club events.
- Act as a brand ambassador to ensure our identity and values are properly represented as we communicate with stakeholders.
- Assist the Senior Director of Communications in preparing and reviewing communications and collateral on behalf of the NYCFC President and spokespeople on the NYCFC Leadership Team including: remarks, speeches, briefing documents, biographies, talking points and quotes.
- Work closely with both the Senior Director of Communications the commercial team to ensure award opportunities are carefully vetted and submissions are up-to-standard and have gone through the proper protocols.
- Develop and maintain effective relationships with relevant key reporters from sports business outlets and media/marketing trades.
- Support new partner launch events and help execute communications plans/activations for existing partners.
- Maintain awards database and work across departments to apply for awards on a strategic basis.
Responsibility Area 5: Proactive Lifestyle Communications
- Help the Communications team continue to develop general and targeted media list and relationships with lifestyle media.
- Develop creatives storylines to engage audiences who have not traditionally been interested in soccer.
- Develop database of players’ interests to help inform pitches (i.e. fashion, cooking, other sports, etc.)
- Host media for coffees, lunches and dinners to strengthen relationships.
- Bachelor of Arts degree preferred.
- 2-4 years’ experience working within similar role.
- Previous PR experience with sports brands/teams preferred.
- Strong writing skills and AP style proficiency.
- Generate story ideas and the ability to make them interesting to media.
- Experience writing press releases and pitching stories of all types to a wide selection of media outlets, and working with reporters/editors/producers.
- Media contacts and ability to identify new media outlets regularly.
- Knowledge of influencer landscape and ability to identify, connect, and leverage relationships.
- Knowledge of key players in the sports and entertainment industry, and how industry news directly or indirectly affects the business.
- Knowledge of both New York, eSports and national media, and the ability to generate coverage;
- Experience working with executives and doing internal communications preferred.
- Applicant must be able to comply with MLS Next Safety and Well-Being policy and any other applicable child safety policies provided to applicants by NYCFC
- Ability to work flexible hours, including evenings, weekends, and holidays, as necessary
- New York City Football Club requires a COVID-19 vaccination as a condition of employment, subject to exception under applicable law
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer
- Must be able to lift 15 pounds at times
- Ability to travel for business purposes
- Must be able to work games scheduled which may be at night and on weekends and holidays
Do you have previous experience in Communications for a company/organization or work at a PR agency? If so, how many years?
Do you have strong writing skills and are you proficient in AP style?
Do you have experience writing press releases and media alerts?
Do you have experience pitching press and creating media lists?
Do you have NYC-based media contacts?
Do you speak Spanish?