The Kansas City Current is seeking a Vice President of Communications & Broadcasting. The Vice President of Communications & Broadcasting is an integral part of the Current senior management team, responsible for the development, integration, and implementation of a broad range of key communications strategies that elevate the organization locally, nationally and globally. The VP of Communications & Broadcasting will execute compelling communications initiatives that engage stakeholders, including corporate partners, community groups, fans, members of the media, players, ownership and more. This individual will be an ambassador for the organization, building relationships with media outlets and driving broader awareness for the Club.
- Create communication strategies that helps The Current leadership cultivate and enhance meaningful relationships with external audiences. This will require an understanding of the media landscape, strong relationships with members of the media, and the ability to develop and execute in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Manage all aspects of communications, including but not limited to:
- Media pitches for The Current including but not limited to soccer, technical staff, business, community relations and corporate initiatives)
- Development and placement of Off-the-pitch feature stories about players, technical staff & executives, amplifying the players’ personalities and interests and supporting the team’s brand positioning
- Build relationships and conversation around the team in sports and non-sports media (i.e. morning radio/tv shows)
- Create compelling awareness of and support for area youth soccer clubs, camps, training events, facilities, and storylines
- Increase visibility for team Community relations efforts
- Soccer communication strategies and execution
- Serve as primary communications contact for owners and team executives. Create messaging strategy, talking points and media support/resource information, as well as schedule media interviews with staff, executives and ownership
- Establish seamless communications and work stream between the technical and business staffs around all marketing, content and communication efforts and serve as the manager of that process.
- Work closely with the marketing and content team to ensure consistent messaging and brand voice
- When necessary, serve as a spokesperson and lead point person on media interactions that help promote and/or impact the organization; proactively engage, cultivate and manage media relationships
- Manage a team that flawlessly disseminate statements, press releases, soccer information and stats
- Manage a team that flawlessly executes gameday communication including, but not limited to, media credential process, media gameday operations, press box operations, pre and postgame communications including stats and league communication
- Develop strong relationships with the league communications staff and counterparts at other teams, working together to amplify and grow the league.
- Lead the team’s broadcast presence including management of local broadcast partnerships, and team representation on national broadcasts
- Maximize all business activities through media amplification, working with community relations, marketing, partnerships, ticket sales and the technical staff; establish strong relationships with counterparts at corporate and community partnes to drive stories that build the club’s brand
- Assist in developing a long-term strategy for community relations pillars
- Oversee internal communication strategies and messaging
- Manage media and social media training for executive team, technical staff and players
- Oversee the day-to-day activities of the communications function including budgeting, planning and staff development
SPECIFIC JOB KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities and be able to explain and demonstrate that he, she or they can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of skills and abilities.
- Must have strong writing skills and strong grasp of AP style
- Must be outgoing and able to build relationships with local and national media
- Must be proficient with Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook
- Must possess high level of expertise in social media and digital platforms including but not limited to Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, YouTube, TikTok, etc.
- Must be highly organized, resourceful, quick learner and able to handle multiple projects simultaneously
- Strong knowledge and experience in public relations, publicity and marketing with the ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment
- Enterprising and self-starter
- Experience in managing projects and peers/colleagues
- Ability to work well with varying personalities in an environment with constant deadlines
- Ability to handle highly sensitive and confidential information
- Ability to work evenings and weekends and/or holidays & overtime as required
- Ability to read, listen and communicate effectively both verbally and in-writing
- Education: Four-year undergraduate college degree in marketing, communications, business or related field required
- Experience: 8+ years of experience in public relations
- Passion for women’s sports and specifically, women’s soccer
- Sports experience and strong sports media relationships strongly preferred
- Demonstrated experience and leadership in managing comprehensive strategic communications and media relations
- Experience in building, mentoring, and coaching future industry leaders
- Ability to manage concurrent projects with overlapping timelines
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital or veteran status, or any other protected class.