Reporting to the Houston Dynamo FC General Counsel, the Associate Counsel will primarily provide general legal support to the Houston Dash. In addition, the Associate General Counsel will support the other Houston Dynamo FC entities as needed. The ideal candidate is intelligent, hardworking and self-starting, reliable, organized, and can manage multiple assignments and deadlines in a fast-paced environment. This position is based in Houston, Texas.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Draft, prepare and review a variety of transactional documents, including sponsorships, licensing, consulting agreements, non-disclosure agreements, and other documents as assigned.
Maintain contract management system, organization of internal records and manage document retention policy.
Assist with managing intellectual property portfolio, including interacting with outside counsel regarding filing of trademark applications, gathering specimens for applications, and drafting and reviewing cease and desist letters.
Assist in developing company policies and procedures.
Interpret applicable league rules.
Assist in coordinating the immigration and visa processes.
Conduct and coordinate research into a variety of legal issues as appropriate.
Support risk management efforts and management of insurance policies.
Drive continuous improvements in policies and processes, including document templates; evaluate workflows and establish priorities.
Perform other ad hoc projects and duties as assigned.
- Admitted to Texas Bar – required.
- Juris Doctorate from an ABA accredited law school – required.
- Minimum 2-5 years of relevant experience – required.
- Advanced negotiating and writing skills, with a strong ability to draft and review legal documents, analyze complex issues, and provide practical, business-oriented solutions – required.
- Proficiency with Microsoft applications including, but not limited to, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook – required.
- Combination of law firm and/or in-house experience – strongly preferred.
- Experience in governance, risk management, and compliance – preferred.
SKILLS, ABILITIES & OTHER ATTRIBUTES:
- Strong teamwork and relationship management skills; works effectively as a liaison between the legal department and all internal clients and external partners/stakeholder.
- Proven ability to conduct research and manage projects and documents, including contracts.
- Ability to be flexible and resourceful in response to changing priorities and needs.
- Demonstrated willingness to continuously acquire new competencies and accept new challenges.
- Ability to handle multiple assignments and deadlines with accuracy and attention to detail.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written, and must be able to effectively manage communications and projects between multiple work sites/locations.
- Demonstrate honesty, responsibility, integrity, and dedication in the fulfillment of commitments.
- Maintain confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Excellent organization skills.
- Exceptional attention to detail and strong analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Ability to work nontraditional hours, as needed.
- Guided by strong moral and ethical principles.
- Pursues lifelong development and learning.
- Communicates in a direct, open, and honest manner.
- Accountable for actions and decisions.
- Seeks and accepts feedback.
* We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
** Houston Dynamo FC has implemented a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy. Please note that reasonable accommodations will be considered if you have a qualifying medical condition that is a contraindication to vaccination or you object to vaccination on the basis of sincerely held religious beliefs and practices.