Reports to: Sporting Director/General Manager
Responsible for strategic and cohesive integration of Strength and Conditioning, Athletic Training, Physical Therapy, Mental Skills, Sports Science, and Nutrition departments. The Director of High Performance and Medical will manage resource allocation, technology investment, innovation, and staffing, as well as provide counsel on players (both contracted or potential targets) to the Sporting Director.
• Oversight of High Performance, Medical, Sport Science, Mental Health and Nutrition subdepartments and
• Establish processes across streams that result in individualized player plans that account for medical, strength and conditioning, mental skills, nutrition, and sports science.
• Regularly identify, evaluate and implement best-in-class processes and procedures that improve
communication, data gathering, and data tracking.
• Appropriately manage relationships and input from the Sporting Director/General Manager, Head Coach, and Players.
• Creation of both proactive and reactive performance development plans for Players, inclusive of rehab for short-term and long-term injuries.
• Oversight and execution of technological and data-driven initiatives for improving player performance and
• Manage continued education and development opportunities for staff to ensure the Chicago Red Stars are
regularly operating at the highest level with new information in the High Human Performance space.
• Establish and maintain close relationships across the league, and with the NWSL, and US Soccer directly and globally.
• Manage existing and develop new relationships with outside departments, support organizations, and third-party vendors.
• Establish a “Red Stars Onboarding” Process for newly acquired players to onboard them as smoothly as possible to our organization and staff.
• Liaise with other approved sports medicine consultants and doctors.
• Oversight of the overall human performance department’s annual budget
• Work alongside the Sporting Director and Head Coach on administrative issues – hiring/firing personnel,
ordering equipment, resource requests, etc.
• Develop a long-term strategy to improve and outbuild the Performance, Medical, Nutrition, Mental Health, and Science departments.
• Strategic implementation of an organizational Rehabilitation department
• Based in Chicago
• Travel as needed
• Master’s and/or Doctoral degree in exercise science, sports science and/or physical therapy or related field.
• Suitable/Relevant certification (e.g., NSCA-CSCS) and/or professional license required.
• 5-8 years of relevant work experience with high-level sport or tactical athlete populations.
• Strength and conditioning experienced
• Program or department leadership experience
• Experience in women’s athletics
• Soccer Experience
• Strong network and professional reputation within the soccer business
• Proven track record of creating systems and processes.
• Strong communication (written/verbal)
• Strategic Thinker and Strategic Doer
• Budget Management Experience
This is an exempt position and is paid a base salary that is dependent on experience and qualifications.
The Chicago Red Stars is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital or veteran status, or any other protected class.