The Physical Performance Coach will support the Head of Sport Science in the creation of high-performance culture driven by a player-centric approach and a focus on individual and team development. This role is responsible for implementing and delivering best-practice strength and conditioning provisions for Angel City FC players. This individual will lead, deliver and enhance the club’s strength and conditioning approach to ultimately prevent injury and enhance individual and collective athletic performance.
Serving within a multi-disciplinary medical & performance team, the individual will be expected to effectively communicate daily with other high-performance staff regarding physical programming and target performance goals required to improve the profile, reduce the risk of injury occurrence and, maintain on-field performance and lead long-term athletic development pathway of Angel City players. All of the above should be guided by objective use of data, research, and the use of various technologies to monitor progress & performance.
This role reports to the Head of Sport Science.
- Support the Head of Sport Science and Director of Medical & Performance in the design and delivery of a clear, transparent, and collaborative culture and soccer operations model for the franchise.
- Oversee the delivery of monitoring, profiling, and evaluation of all first-team players to ensure strength and conditioning programs are in place for all and that each player’s physical development requirements are tailored to their specific needs and priorities.
- Lead the delivery of individual and group strength and conditioning programs, including indoor and pitch-based strategies.
- Liaise daily with the medical department on player status, wellness, and rehabilitation.
- Design and/or enhance existing evidence-based protocols for return to train and return to play processes, and collaborate on the transition process in conjunction with the medical department.
- Ensure the latest clinical, scientific, and technical innovations for applied practice are implemented while maintaining the highest level of care.
- Develop and deliver enhanced analysis and reporting on Strength and Conditioning performance and outcomes to ensure the club’s approach is insights led.
- In collaboration with the Medical Team and Head of Sport Science, create and monitor off-season training programs.
- Educate and support players, as well as produce appropriate visuals, on all performance and recovery-related strength and conditioning themes.
- Collaborate with the Director of Medical & Performance and Head of Sport Science to ensure all players receive individual physical programs, monitoring, and management to track long-term player development.
- Establish a healthy working relationship inclusive of open and frequent communication, collaboration, and trust with colleagues across technical and operations staff. Work collaboratively with the multidisciplinary team to deliver excellent outcomes in an elite performance environment.
- Actively support, where possible, the wider community, commercial, and revenue-generating projects undertaken by the Franchise.
- Enforce team rules and league rules applicable to players and coaching staff.
- Understanding of sports science and related disciplines, including their impact on athletic performance
- Experience as a Strength and Conditioning Coach at the elite level in women’s elite soccer is a plus
- Ability to lead large group strength sessions or work with athletes individually for LTD or RTP
- Experience in conducting scientifically underpinned assessment, monitoring, and evaluation procedures
- Experience in using data management systems to ensure the secure and efficient storage of, monitoring, and evaluation of data
- Confidence in making decisions
- Understand sports science technologies such as STATSports, Polar, Vald, and Athlete Management System and how they can be utilized to drive performance & development
- Experience in software including Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Power Bi, & Google Drive, as well as visualization tools
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively with players and staff at all levels
- Positive influencer, comfortable with leading dynamic change
- Commitment to diversity and inclusion
- Consistently displays empathy with players with an ability to inspire.
- Excellent organizational skills & attention to detail
- A desire to continually innovate in collaboration with the rest of the High-Performance Team
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to build meaningful, strong, and strategic relationships with club staff
- Understanding of learning, development, and high performance with a proven ability to create optimum learning environments for players
- Track record of consistent high performance in a professional environment
- Strong commitment to personal development and training
- BSc/BA in Exercise/Sports Science (or a related discipline)
- MSc in Strength & Conditioning, Sports Science, or a related discipline
- CSCS, UKSCA or equivalent
- Applied elite soccer experience, work within the elite female soccer space preferred
ACFC Perks & Benefits
- Fully funded comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage
- 401K plan
- Flexible PTO policy
- Paid Parental Leave
- Cell Phone reimbursement
- Snacks and beverages
- Dog-Friendly HQ in Santa Monica
- Complimentary tickets to home games
- Bi-annual performance reviews
In addition to the benefits above, this role has a pay range between $65-$70k
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital or veteran status, or any other protected class.