Major League Soccer (MLS) and its Teams Jobs!
Head Athletic Trainer, Sporting KC II with Sporting Kansas City in Kansas City · MO
The position is based in Kansas City, Missouri at Swope Soccer Village training center. The role includes being the head athletic trainer primarily with Sporting KC II (USL Team) but will be assisting with the Sporting KC academy teams and Sporting KC as needed.
The assistant athletic trainer reports directly to the Sporting Kansas City Director of Sports Medicine and the head coach for Sporting KC II. They will also work alongside with Sporting KC athletic trainers (MLS and DA), performance coaches, technical staff, team physical therapist, team dietitian, team massage therapist, team doctors and any outsourced medical professionals that work with the organization.
The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities and be able to explain and demonstrate that he or she can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of skills and abilities.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in health-related field required. Master’s in related field preferred.
- At least 2 years’ experience in the field of sports medicine required, preferably with a soccer background or an internship from an MLS affiliated club.
- NATABOC Certified Athletic Trainer – must be in good standing with the NATABOC and a member or the NATA.
- State license in both KS and MO.
- Current professional CPR certification.
- Possess personal professional liability insurance.
- Bilingual in Spanish is of benefit.
- Must possess a valid passport/driver’s license.
- Must be able to travel with team and work flexible hours including nights, weekends, and holidays as needed.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs without assistance and stand/walk for long periods of time.
Develop preventative strategies, evaluation, treatment and management of athletic injuries, communication with Sporting KC director of Sports Medicine and team doctors, appropriate record keeping, education and counseling of our USL and academy players. Specific duties include but are not limited to:
- Assisting Director of Sports Medicine with any needs or tasks assigned.
- Complete supervision and coverage of all Sporting KC II Home and Away games.
- Daily supervision and coverage of all Sporting KC II training sessions.
- Health Care and injury prevention techniques for all Sporting KC II players.
- Create and implement all treatments for Sporting KC II players.
- Managing and designing rehabilitation and return to play programs for Sporting KC II players.
- Maintaining accurate and up-to-date medical information and medical files on players and communicating to coaches and Sports Medicine staff.
- Communicate and assist with all player movement and status to all sports medicine, coaches and player personnel departments.
- Assist in creating and coordinating return to play programs with Rehabilitation Coordinator and Sporting KC II Strength and Conditioning coach.
- Arranging and coordinating all physician and medical imaging appointments.
- Coordinating and submitting all Sporting KC II players Work Compensation claims.
- Maintaining inventory control and budgeting of medical equipment and supplies at Swope Soccer Village.
- Assist Director of Sports Medicine with managing day-to-day operations of Swope Soccer Village’s Athletic Training Room.
- Maintaining athletic training room supplies and modalities in neat orderly working condition.
- Assist with transportation of players to and from physician appointments.
- Supervising and overseeing Athletic Training seasonal intern.
- Supervising and overseeing Athletic Training students.
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by associates within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of associates assigned to this job.
How did you hear about this job?
Do you have current authorization to work in the United States?
Do you have access to reliable transportation?
Are you bilingual?
Why are you the best candidate for this position?
What do you want to join Sporting Kansas City?
Do you have at least 2 years’ experience in the field of sports medicine, preferably with a soccer background or an internship from an MLS affiliated club?
Are you a NATABOC Certified Athletic Trainer?