Major League Soccer (MLS) and its Teams Jobs!
Controller with Seattle Sounders FC in Seattle, WA
Seattle Sounders FC jobs
Sports Jobs in Seattle, WA
Accounting and Finance: Controller/Director of Finance
REPORTS TO: VP of Finance
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
The Controller is responsible for producing accurate and timely internal and external financial statements, tax returns, and other management reports. This role will assist in the development and implementation of club goals and priorities through financial management, budgeting, accounting, and purchasing, all while in compliance of State and Federal Laws as well as club policies and procedures. The Controller also manages A/P and A/R processes through oversight of the Staff Accountant.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Manage month end close and production of internal financial statements.
- Manage year end close and production of GAAP financial statements, including all audit preparation – for taxes and benefit plans.
- Prepare league and other required reporting in a timely fashion.
- Assist Financial Planning and Analysis Analyst in planning and executing annual budgeting/planning process.
- Assess internal financial controls and processes for efficiency and effectiveness; Suggest and implement changes or updates as necessary.
- Lead organization-wide efforts to find cost savings and efficiencies.
- Review league settlements for accuracy.
- Assist in the execution of game day and other business events as needed.
- Model the Sounders FC Vision and Values in all interactions with teammates, partners, vendors, and fans.
- Maintains contact with Insurance broker for coordination of appropriate coverage.
- Oversee cash management.
- Review any contracts as necessary.
- Directly manages the Staff Accountant, who is responsible for executing all Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable duties.
- Supervisory responsibilities over Staff Accountant to include assigning and directing work that develops the accounting and business skills the employee; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employee as appropriate; addressing employee complaints and resolving issues; interviewing, hiring, and training as necessary.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Knowledge, skill and/or ability
- Strong knowledge of GAAP
- Ability to understand and interpret financial statements
- Excellent organization skills
- Ability to complete multiple projects on time with varying timelines and priorities
- Ability to communicate with a variety of personalities and individuals, including both internal and external stakeholders
- Professional demeanor, able maintain confidentiality
- Experience consolidating multiple entities
- Experience producing financial reports
Required computer skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, Powerpoint)
- Experience with Quickbooks Online or Other Accounting Program
- Experience using Adaptive Insights budgeting software or similar program
- Master’s degree (M.A. M.S. M.B.A.) and 4+ years relevant experience
- CPA preferred
Special remarks regarding work environment, if applicable
- Travel estimated to be 5 %. Must have reliable means of transportation.
- This position functions primarily at the Sounders FC business office in Seattle.
- Must be available to work evenings, weekends and holidays as needed, including all Sounders FC home matches.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The job description listed above is representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
Seattle Sounders FC strongly supports equal employment opportunity for all applicants regardless of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, marital status, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
How did you hear about this job?
What are your salary expectations for this role?