Major League Soccer (MLS) and its Teams Jobs!
Club Counsel with Seattle Sounders FC in Seattle · WA
Seattle Sounders FC jobs
Sports Jobs in Seattle · WA
Legal: General Counsel/Contractual Law
TITLE: Club Counsel
DEPARTMENT: Legal & External Affairs
REPORTS TO: General Counsel & External Affairs
FLSA STATUS: Salaried, Exempt
When you join Sounders FC you join a Family. A giant, inclusive, soccer-loving Family rooted in the best soccer city in America. Here we average nearly 40,000 fans per match, recently attracting over 69,000 fans as we won the 2019 MLS Cup here in Seattle. Our club exists to create special moments like these, where we enrich lives and unify our fans and city through soccer.
Sounders FC is looking for an attorney to work in fast paced and dynamic environment in close partnership with our General Counsel to manage, direct and execute legal, risk management, and compliance aspects of the defending MLS Cup Champions, Seattle Sounders FC. This position will participate as a member of a small legal and government affairs team supporting all aspects of the operations, human resources, revenue generation, products, brand and marketing, content, facilities, philanthropic, data and compliance aspects of both the business and technical sides of the club.
You will primarily focus on transactional matters for the club and be responsible for drafting, negotiating and administering legal aspects of sponsorship agreements, intellectual property licenses, contest terms and conditions, and independent contractor and service provider agreements; and perform legal review of all marketing and promotional materials. You will also assist the General Counsel in compliance activities in employment, MLS and USL league compliance, and pursuant to local, federal and state law. You are an adept and astute problem solver and issue spotter, can quickly and effectively shift between multiple tasks and subject matters, are a capable researcher and love soccer and love or are willing to fall in love with Sounders FC!
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Work collaboratively with department heads and senior leaders across the organization and serve as a front-line legal resource for the membership engagement team, sponsorship activation team and brand marketing team.
- Manage, negotiate and draft all corporate partnership agreements.
- Assist HR team in managing and drafting employment, independent contractor and service provider agreements.
- Provide legal review of marketing, promotional and advertising materials in placed media, on Sounders FC platforms and direct to consumer communications.
- Conduct legal research and stay up to date on legal proceedings in and across sports and entertainment law
- Participation in league level legal meetings and in league trainings and conference calls; minimal travel required.
- Model Seattle Sounders FC Vision and Values in all interactions with colleagues and externally with partners, vendors and fans.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Knowledge, Skill, Qualities, and/or Ability
- Outstanding relationship and collaboration skills to work with internal stakeholders, external corporate partners, and affiliated league offices.
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills, including ability to resolve disputes, build trust and observe confidentially.
- Highly analytical with strong critical thinking and problem-solving abilities
- Attention to detail and dedication to quality.
- Ability to meet deadlines; accomplish work in order of priority; professionally maintain composure and effectiveness under pressure and changing conditions.
- Ability to negotiate conflict and maintain constructive working relationships with people at all levels of the organization (both internal and external).
- Ability to effectively present information to individuals in a group setting and to all levels within the organization.
- Comfortable working in a fast paced, dynamic work environment.
- A passion for soccer a plus.
- Bilingual (Spanish/English) or Multi-Lingual a plus.
Required Computer / Technical Skills
- Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint)
Education / Experience / Certifications
- Bachelor’s degree and JD from an accredited law school required.
- Admitted to and in good standing with Washington State Bar; or ability to become admitted.
- 3+ years of corporate transactional experience in a firm or as in-house counsel or other relevant experience.
- Demonstrated previous legal experience in small, collaborative teams.
- Experience working in and around youth or youth sports with work in soccer preferred.
Special Remarks Regarding Work Environment
- This position functions primarily at the Sounders FC business office in Seattle, WA.
- Must have a reliable means of transportation – ideally a personal vehicle and valid WA state driver license. Attendance at occasional off-site meetings and events is required.
- Must be available to work evenings, weekends and holidays as needed, including all 18+ Sounders FC home matches.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The job description listed above is representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
Seattle Sounders FC strongly supports equal employment opportunity for all applicants regardless of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, marital status, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
How did you hear about this job?