Youth development is the core of our mission and the heart of our passion. The Philadelphia Union
Academy program is free of charge so Philadelphia’s future players of promise have an opportunity to
pursue their passions without the burden of paying to play. Selection into the program is a true
accomplishment and the major step in a player’s path to Subaru Park.
The innovative Philadelphia Union Academy program is deeply based in sport science and performance
and follows best practices in coaching education. It includes three developmental phases: Junior
Academy Phase (U9 - U12), Mid-Academy Phase (U13 - U14) and Professional Development Phase
(U15 - Union II). At all ages, our players are asked to lead by example and embrace the ethos and culture
of Philadelphia Union.
The Philadelphia Union Academy was established after studying the models of the most innovative and
successful soccer clubs worldwide, Philadelphia Union set about implementing a holistic developmental
platform integrating world-class player training and sport science for the youth soccer players of the
Greater Philadelphia region and beyond.
The program is renowned for providing the youngest players with opportunities to develop a passion for
the game, or for an elite academy player on the cusp of professional soccer to pursue excellence, all in
the same enriching and nurturing environment. Philadelphia Union Academy has one of the most
qualified and skilled staffs in North America, featuring sport science and athletic development training as
important resources. The program is overseen by UEFA Pro Licensed Director of Academy and
Professional Development, Tommy Wilson. The Philadelphia Union Academy is based out of YSC Sports
in Wayne, PA, and features an innovative, first-of-its-kind soccer specific independent school partner,
ABOUT THIS ROLE
The Professional Development Phase Head Coach is responsible for coaching and developing elite
players in the Pro Pathway (U15 to Union II) to prepare them for professional soccer.
- The Professional Development Phase Head Coach will coach a Pro Pathway Team (TBD) in consultation with Senior Technical staff and in accordance with the Union Technical standards,
vision, values and philosophy.
- Responsible for the management and coaching said team during the training sessions and games.
- Develop and prepare the players for elite professional (first-team) soccer.
- Empower the players to 'own' their individual development program.
- Develop a positive relationship with the parents and be available to provide feedback to parents
throughout the season regarding the performance of their son.
- Consult and collaborate with the Sports Science and Performance department to make personal
fitness programs, dietary plans and discuss injury reports.
- Report and discuss talent in the age category with the Scouting Department.
- Proven to be working toward the UEFA A license, or equivalent.
- Proven knowledge of the American soccer system.
- Effective and efficient communicator, both in written and verbal.
- Proven knowledge and experience of player transition strategies.
- Proven knowledge and experience of developing young players at an elite level.
- Excellent leadership and communication skills.
If selected for a position with the Philadelphia Union the individual will be required to provide the following clearances:
- PA Child Abuse History clearance
- PA State Police Criminal Records Check
- An FBI Criminal Background Check
- Annual Safesport Certification
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital or veteran status, or any other protected class.