ABOUT OUR COMPANY
Philadelphia was awarded the 16th Major League Soccer franchise in February, 2008 and the team was officially announced as the Philadelphia Union in May, 2009. Owned and operated by Union Sports and Entertainment, the group launched the Philadelphia Union's inaugural season in 2010 and opened what is now Subaru Park in June, 2010. Subaru Park is an 18,500 seat, world-class soccer specific stadium that sits beautifully along the Delaware River at the base of the Commodore Barry Bridge and is only 15 miles from downtown Philadelphia.
The club has reached the finals of the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup in 2014, 2015 and 2018, and has appeared in the MLS Cup Playoffs in 2011, 2016, 2018, 2019, 2020, securing their first showing in the CONCACAF Champions League in 2021. In 2020, the Union were awarded the club’s first Supporters’ Shield after finishing with the best regular season record in MLS. The club hosted the Eastern Conference Final in 2021 and were named the Eastern Conference Champions in 2022. The Philadelphia Union have once again clinched a berth in the 2023 Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League. The 2022 season finished at the MLS Cup against LAFC, in one of the most intense matches in League history!
Philadelphia Union’s culture and brand positioning of Young, Fearless, Challengers differentiates us from others and focuses our vision to be unafraid and defy the ordinary. Union Sports and Entertainment is relentlessly pursuing excellence both on and off the field and will lead the way, set the standards and share the glory. Our connection to Philadelphia is symbolized in the Club’s crest as the snake, colors, shield, slogan and thirteen stars all represent Philadelphia as the original capital city and its call to action during the American Revolution.
ABOUT THIS ROLE:
The Assistant Athletic Trainer/Strength and Power Coach will be an important bridge in the Philadelphia Union Developmental Pathway. Along with roles in the day-to-day operation and management of first team player care, a major emphasis for this role will be on “smoothing” transitions of our developmental athletes moving from the academy into the first team and new players joining the club. Additionally, the successful candidate will (help) create and implement individual strength, power, and speed programs for Philadelphia Union first team players. This will include developing detailed training and injury histories, creating a holistic understanding of a player’s movement needs, analyzing athletic skills, and systematic programming for identified athletes. The Assistant Athletic Trainer/Strength and Power Coach will be instrumental in creating and implementing long term physical development plans. This role will require an individual with a movement centered approach to training and a background in both athletic training and strength & conditioning. This role will also be required to complete on field athletic/treatment room training coverage at the discretion of the Medical Team. This role reports to the Head of Health and Innovation, Head of Performance and Innovation, and Head Athletic Trainer.
Working in collaboration with Performance Department staff:
- Develop and implement reconditioning, activations, strength sessions, prehabs.
- Liaise with Union II and Academy staff on players moving between levels.
- Develop Philadelphia Union Movement Competencies and coordinate programming to meet goals.
- Manage homegrown and new player development plans. Coordinate with Performance Department staff on transitions of care.
- Collaborate with Performance Department staff on testing and assessments.
- Manages the healthcare of Players including, but not limited to: first aid/emergency care, on-site injury evaluation, application of appropriate modalities, development of rehabilitation and prevention programs, as well as conducting rehabilitation and making medical referrals.
- Maintain Player health records in the League-provided electronic medical record (EMR) system.
- Keep athletic training room and clinic area safe, clean, and organized.
- Help the Club Medical Staff regarding Player's health and safety.
- Comply with all MLS medical policies and protocols.
- Comply with OSHA standards with regards to blood borne pathogens.
- Attend all activities/meetings/programs as required by the League.
- Perform other duties as assigned or required.
- Create and contribute to the monthly performance reports for 1st team players.
- Communicate report results with key stakeholders.
- Track relevant trends in strength, power, speed, and mobility to mitigate injury-risk.
- Create and update performance evaluation and player performance comparison dashboards in the club’s AMS.
- Minimum of two (2) years certified athletic trainer/therapist experience.
- Soccer playing and/or coaching experience preferred.
- Specific Focus on Movement and Development is preferred.
- Experience in weight room is necessary.
Licenses or Certifications
• NATABOC (or CATA) Certified Athletic Trainer/Therapist.
• In good standing with NATABOC.
• State or Province License in the state/province in which the Club calls home, if required by the state/province.
• CPR certification for Health Care Provider.
• Maintain personal professional liability insurance.
• Prefer certification: CSCS, PES, LMT, and/or NREMT, Certified Performance Sport Specialist (CPSS).
- Minimum four (4) year bachelor’s degree.
- Preferred: Master’s degree in a health-related field.
- Preferred: UEFA or USSF Football Coaching License.
- Advanced Strength and Plyometric Programming.
- Utilization of sport science technology such as Velocity based training, Force Plates, Force Frame, Nordbord, and GPS systems.
- Basic knowledge of performance nutrition.
- Comprehensive benefits package including three medical options, vision and dental coverage, including flexible spending & health savings accounts.
- Pre-tax and Roth 401k (up to 4% is matched, after 90 days of service).
- Company-paid life insurance and disability.
- Wellness reimbursements through Independence Blue Cross.
- 50% merchandise discount.
- Other league and partner discounts.
- Complimentary or discounted tickets.
- 24/7 state-of-the-art Fitness Center and locker rooms.
- On-site Café with grab-and-go options, salad bar, and grill!
This position requires valid criminal background clearances in the state of PA:
- PA Child Abuse History Clearance
- PA State Police Criminal Record Check
- FBI Criminal Background Check (via fingerprinting)
- Annual Safe Sport Certification
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital or veteran status, or any other protected class.