The Director of Player Health & Performance / Head Athletic Trainer is part of the Sporting Operations Department for Minnesota United FC (MNUFC), a sports business located in the Twins Cities area of Minnesota and a member of Major League Soccer (MLS), the top tier soccer league in North America.
The Director of Player Health & Performance / Head Athletic Trainer will manage the day-to-day sports medicine operations for an MLS Club. In this capacity, they will oversee evaluation, treatment, and rehabilitation for all MNUFC players' medical problems, as well as injury prevention strategies for all players. This position will direct Athletic Training and Physiotherapy services for the Club, and will also oversee all Sports Performance Services, including but not limited to Strength and Conditioning, Sports Science, Nutrition, and Massage Therapy. The performance of duties will be under the direction and supervision of the MLS Chief Medical Officer and the designated Club Chief Medical Officer.
The Director of Player Health & Performance / Head Athletic Trainer will work closely with the Head Coach, Chief Medical Officer, and Chief Soccer Officer daily. A year-round employee, they will attend all training, scrimmages and home games and ensure two (2) Athletic Trainers/Therapists are present at all away games.
This position is based in Blaine, MN.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
As the Director of Player Health & Performance / Head Athletic Trainer, this role is responsible for overseeing the Sports Performance and Sports Medicine departments. The Director will:
- Oversee the entirety of the Sports Medicine Department, including Sports Medicine (sports medicine, athletic training, physiotherapy, massage and chiropractic) and Sports Performance (strength and conditioning, sports science and nutrition) for the First Team, Lower Division Team, and Youth Development Program;
- Manage communication and relationship with the Chief Medical Officer and team doctors to ensure alignment and top-tier player care;
- Act as a liaison between Head Coach, Chief Soccer Officer, Chief Medical Officer and players;
- Work with the Head of Sports Performance to create group and individualized performance plans to maximize physical outputs of athletes;
- Establish objective physical development benchmarks for athletes on each MNUFC team;
- Establish Club standards and protocols in the Sports Medicine space, including but not limited to staff certifications and the vetting of incoming players;
- Guide First Team, Lower Division Team, and Youth Development Program coaching staffs on player health and performance expectations and standards;
Sports Medicine Duties:
- Oversee a team of Certified Athletic Trainers (including two First Team Assistant Athletic Trainers), a Lower Division League Athletic Trainer, and two Youth Development Program Athletic Trainers, as well as a Physical Therapist;
- Ensure compliance with all MLS, MLS NextPro, and Lower Division League medical policies and protocols as communicated by the League and laid out in the League Operations Manual;
- Maintain a complete and up-to-date roster of First Team player health and participation records and reports in the League-provided electronic medical record system, including but not limited to: first reports of injury, player treatments, and return to play dates for various purposes (e.g. workers compensation claims and research);
- Assist with planning, including budgeting, facilities and personnel, as MNUFC and/or its Youth Development Program system expands; and
- Liaise with MNUFC Front Office staff on health and safety protocols;
Sports Performance Duties:
- Oversee a team composed of the Head of Sports Performance, Strength and Conditioning specialists, Performance Scientist, Massage Therapist(s) and Sports Nutritionist;
- Collaborate with Head of Sports Performance and Physical Therapist to create group and individual load management planning;
- Communicate player load planning to applicable coaching staffs and the Chief Medical Officer;
- Supervise the development of all warmup and gym sessions;
As the Head Athletic Trainer, they will work in collaboration with the Medical Staff and under the supervision of the Chief Medical Officer. Head Athletic Trainer duties include:
- Perform as the Certified Athletic Trainer in managing the health care of players in a safe, OSHA-compliant manner. Health care included, but is not limited to: first aid/emergency care, on-site injury evaluation, application of appropriate modalities, developing rehabilitation and prevention programs, as well as conducting rehabilitation and making medical referrals
- Oversee athletic training and rehabilitation services for the MNUFC Youth Development Program and Lower Division League systems and consult on medical intervention or rehabilitation for challenging or unique cases;
- Comply with OSHA standards regarding blood borne pathogens;
- Under the direction of the Club physicians, assist with the organization and maintenance of pharmaceutical inventory and records;
- Organize physical examinations as required by League regulations;
- Initiate insurance/worker's compensation claims for Players
- Comply with all MLS medical policies, protocol and Game Operations Manual;
- Comply with all League medical policies and protocols;
- Such other duties and services as may reasonably be assigned by Club to Employee that are consistent with employment as the Senior Director of Sports Medicine & Head Athletic Trainer for a team in the League.
Licenses or Certifications
- NATABOC (or CATA) Certified Athletic Trainer/Therapist
- In good standing with NATABOC
- State or Province License in the state/province in which the Club calls home, if required by the state/province
- CPR certification for Health Care Provider
- Maintain professional liability insurance
- Prefer certification: CSCS, PES, LMT, and/or NREMT
Total Educational Experience
- Minimum four (4) year college/university Bachelor’s Degree
- Master’s Degree in related health care field or license or registered physical therapist
- Minimum five (5) years certified athletic trainer experience in a sports environment, preferably with soccer team sports
- Experience with elite level athletes
- Experience working in a high tempo, high stress environment
- Medical soccer experience preferred
MNUFC is a professional soccer club playing in Major League Soccer (MLS), the top tier of soccer in North America, and which operates under the oversight of the U.S. Soccer Federation, a member of FIFA. The Club is headquartered in Golden Valley, MN. Soccer operations are located at the MNUFC Training Center in Blaine, Minnesota, and the team plays its home matches at Allianz Field in St. Paul, MN.
MNUFC is a progressive employer that values group and personal excellence, individual commitment, shared responsibility, diversity and respect for all people. Its mission includes community engagement and betterment through the expression of the values of soccer, the premier sport of the world. The Club promotes an open work environment with collegial and supporting work dynamics that foster positive individual and group performance, and the opportunity for career advancement.
Compensation and Benefits:
MNUFC provides a competitive benefit package that includes management level salary with annual bonus potential, individual and family health insurance, and 401K savings program.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regards to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.