Performance Dietician with Columbus Crew SC in Columbus · OH
Columbus Crew SC jobs
Sports Jobs in Columbus · OH
Player Operations: Nutritionist
The Performance Dietician (PD) provides nutrition services to all Columbus Crew players to ensure they have the ability to achieve an elite-level of fitness and physical performance. The PD applies scientific knowledge to improve a player’s health and performance through implementing individualized optimal nutrition plans. The PD will be an integral part of a multi-disciplinary performance team creating a world class experience. This role includes implementation of individual and group nutrition plans for performance and health, work with food service personnel to optimize food preparation for athletic performance, meal planning and coordination for away travel, and management of supplement use.
- Development and oversight of a performance nutrition system designed to maximize player performance, health, recovery, and readiness.
- Conduct long and short-range planning for implementation of performance nutrition programs.
- Measure body composition and hydration levels and develop individual plans based off findings.
- Assess and evaluate energy balance needs based on demands in soccer and individual position requirements.
- Knowledge of eating disorder/disordered eating signs and symptoms.
- Create individualized offseason nutrition plans.
- Creation of weekly/monthly reports for various stakeholders as required.
- Demonstrate interpersonal skills required to work effectively with players, coaches, and other team personnel and MLS staff.
- Effectively communicate with other members of the performance staff to modify and individualize performance nutrition plans.
- Assess and analyze dietary practices, body composition, and energy balance of professional soccer players in the context of athletic performance and health.
- Implement individual plans to create optimal nutrition for training, competition, recovery from exercise, weight management, hydration, immunity, disordered eating, travel, and supplementation.
- Provide personalized meal and snack plans to achieve peak athletic performance and recovery.
- Develop and counsel regarding hydration protocols.
- Develop resources to support educational efforts.
- Develop and deliver nutrition education presentation or demonstrations on various topics related to nutrition and performance.
- Recommend appropriate pre-, during, post-exercise fluids and snacks for individual, team training, and competition.
- Educate regarding food selection (grocery store tours, food storage) and food preparation (cooking classes).
- Provide nutrition guidance for Crew II and Academy players and staff, including setting meal plans, and presenting on performance nutrition throughout the season – within the performance center and away travel.
- Serve as a nutrition resource for coaches, performance/medical staff, and food service personnel.
- Collaborate with food service provider to develop and manage team meal menus and catering.
- Coordinate nutrition for team travel (catering, hotels, airlines, competition).
- Develop and deliver nutrition education for food service personnel.
- Remain current with the latest performance nutrition scientific research and translating this to policy and practice.
- Document nutrition services provided and evaluate the effectiveness of nutrition strategies towards meeting desired outcomes.
- Order, inventory, and procurement of goods through necessary vendors.
- Any other duties as required by the role.
- Work under the direction of the Director of Performance.
- Registered dietician (with active registration through Commission in Dietetic Registration) and active Ohio State RD Licensure or ability obtain it.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Nutrition or related field.
- Master’s Degree in Nutrition or related field highly preferred.
- Board Certified Specialist in Sports Dietetics (CSSD) highly preferred.
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in creating and maintaining nutrition care plans for athletes.
- Knowledge of rules and regulations of athletic governing bodies: e.g., U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA), World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA), regarding banned drugs and restricted substances.
- Knowledge of complementary medicine, ergogenic aids, and nutritional supplements.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills and experience working in a cooperative environment.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to manage many projects.
- Passionate and enthusiastic manner that has a proven history of motivating professional athletes.
- Fluency in second language preferred (Spanish, Portuguese, or French).
- Computer Skills necessary in MS Office, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook.
- Must be willing to travel for business – weekend work and travel is necessary.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
How did you hear about this job?