Assistant Groundskeeper - Austin FC (Austin · TX)
Austin FC Jobs
Jobs in Austin · TX
Facility Operations/Event Staff: Grounds Crew/Turf Management
In order to be considered for this role, after clicking "apply now" above and being redirected, you must fully complete the application process on the follow-up screen.
Austin FC joined Major League Soccer (MLS) as the League’s 27th club in January 2019.Austin FC began competing in MLS in April 2021 and played its first match at home on June 19, 2021, in the new, 100% privately financed, $260 million, state-of-the-art Q2 Stadium in Austin. Opened in 2021, St. David’s Performance Center serves as the Official Training Facility of Austin FC. Located at the Parmer Pond in North Austin, just seven miles from Q2 Stadium, the $45-million, privately financed, 23-acre complex is the training home of Austin FC’s first team, Austin FC Academy teams and future home of Austin FC’s MLS NEXT Pro Team.
Austin FC is actively seeking a professional and reliable Assistant Groundkeeper to support all daily grounds operations at Q2 Stadium and St. David’s Performance Center. In this role, you will work with a team to maintain Q2 Stadium and St. David’s Performance Center’s fields in order to ensure player safety and field quality, ensure that all necessary equipment maintenance is completed, and communicate with Austin FC’s Soccer Operations leadership with any necessary field updates. This position will also support the training, supervising, and scheduling of part-time grounds staff.
This position is based in Austin, TX and is based out of Q2 Stadium and St. David’s Performance Center at various times and depending on the department needs.
Are You Someone That:
· Has a positive attitude, strong work ethic and passion for flawless execution?
· Feels a sense of pride and accomplishment in successfully executing a well-organized, well-coordinated event?
· Takes pride in maintaining the highest level of confidentiality and discretion?
· Works well within in a collaborative, team-driven, and goal-based environment?
· Creates processes to increase work efficiencies and systems to work smarter not harder?
· Can communicate effectively with a wide range of people?
· Consistently prioritizes projects, meetings and fast-changing schedules while remaining productive and professional?
· Possess exceptional organizational skills with a strong attention to detail and the ability to prioritize and multi-task?
In This Role You Will:
· Aid in the maintenance of the Q2 Stadium pitch as well as all surrounding landscaping; and
· Work within a team to maintain ten (10) acres of natural grass, as well as one synthetic field, at the St. David’s Performance Center; and
· Develop and maintain good communication with Austin FC’s Soccer Operations leadership (including Sporting Director, coaches, and Academy General Manager) as it pertains to field scheduling and maintenance; and
· Track growth progress, soil moisture, shear strength, and field hardness to help ensure player safety and field quality; and
· Complete preventive maintenance on various pieces of equipment and ensure all equipment remains in working and operational condition; and
· Apply fertilizers and pesticides and keep up-to-date and accurate application records; and
· Train crew members in the proper use of equipment, tools, chemicals, and their applications; and
· Assist with the supervision and scheduling of part-time staff; and
· Research FIFA and MLS standards and ensure that playing surfaces meet these standards; and
· Complete projects and special assignments within budgets as directed by the organization; and
· Able to make precise and timely decisions that affect field conditions; and
· Maintain daily field maintenance and make suggestions for improvements when necessary; and
· Assist in the setup for on-field events at Q2 Stadium; and
· Assist in managing the organization and cleanliness of grounds storage and ancillary spaces.
· Bachelor’s degree in Turf Management, Horticulture, or Plant Science preferred
· Three (3) or more years of relevant work in maintaining professional quality sports fields
· Working knowledge of field construction and maintenance pertaining to irrigation, drainage, rootzone, artificial turf, and grow lights
· Experience working with warm climate turfgrass species preferred
· English language proficiency is essential and Spanish/English bilingual skills are a plus
· Ability to obtain a Texas pesticide applicators license within 6 months of employment
· Proficiency in Microsoft applications, knowledge of current technologies and commitment to remain up to date with industry best practices
· Must have high level of interpersonal skills to handle sensitive and confidential situations and information
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills
· Commitment to diversity and inclusion both internally and externally
· Detail and deadline-oriented
· Strong organizational skills
· Ability to make decisions under pressure
· Ability to work in various degrees of outdoor weather conditions, including but not limited to, extreme heat or rain
· Ability to lift 50 pounds of weight frequently throughout assigned workday
· Ability to push/pull 50 pounds and occasionally more
· Ability to work in various positions, including but not limited to, stooping, standing, bending over, sitting, kneeling, and squatting for extended periods of time
· It is the policy of Austin FC not to discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, national origin, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, physical or mental disability, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
· All selected candidates are subject to passing a background check prior to employment.
· Hours are variable and can easily include early mornings, evenings, weekends and some holidays in addition to the traditional Monday through Friday hours.