JOB DESCRIPTION: CORPORATE COUNSEL (TAMPA, FL)
The IRONMAN Group seeks qualified applicants for its Corporate Counsel (transactional attorney) position at its world headquarters in Tampa, Florida (work conducted at least partially remotely until further notice). The worldwide leader in endurance sports, The IRONMAN Group is a high-growth, international organization that owns and operates mass-participation athletic events under brands such as IRONMAN®, ROCK ‘N’ ROLL® RUNNING SERIES, CAPE EPIC®, SINGAPORE MARATHON, and CITY2SURF®, among many other triathlons, marathons, and road-cycling, mountain-bike, ultra-trail, and other athletic events, and related programs such as IRONMAN UTM and IRONMAN VIRTUAL RACING (VRTM). Together with its scores of subsidiaries and licensees, The IRONMAN Group offers the world’s largest participation endurance sports platform by operating more than 230 events annually across 50+ countries – including the iconic IRONMAN WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP® in Hawaii, first held in 1978. In 2020, The IRONMAN Group became part of Advance (www.advance.com), a private family-owned business.
Core responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Draft, analyze, review, and negotiate sponsorship agreements, trademark licenses (for consumer products and race events), event services/management agreements, host city/venue agreements, e-commerce agreements, service agreements, media agreements, merchandising agreements, race operations agreements, athlete-related agreements, software/technology agreements, acquisition agreements, liability waivers, corporate governance documents, and other types of agreements and legal and non-legal documents
- Resolve disputes and negotiate settlements; manage litigation
- Advise business colleagues globally on a wide range of legal issues
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE:
The ideal candidate is a currently practicing transactional attorney with these skills, attributes, and experiences:
- Practiced law a minimum 5-6 years in corporate/transactional law (part of which at a law firm)
- Exceptional contract-drafting skills
- Strong writing, negotiating, and other communication skills
- Highly detail-oriented, hard-working, business-minded
- Self-motivated and consistently meets deadlines
- Excellent organizational skills; able to handle multiple priorities simultaneously
- Friendly, personable, professional
- Able to work independently and productively with minimal supervision
- Plus factor, but not required: Experience as lead drafter/negotiator of M&A agreements
EDUCATION & LICENSURE REQUIRED:
- Bachelor’s degree from four-year college or university
- Juris doctor degree; licensed to practice law within the United States
- May require flexible schedule, sometimes including weekends and evenings
- So that we know you’ve read this far: in your cover letter please mention your favorite (non-sports) TV or streaming show you’ve watched recently, with as much or little elaboration as you care to offer. Have fun with it; there are no wrong answers (except, well, sports shows).
- May later require some travel (domestic or international), on an as-needed basis