USA Swimming is the National Governing Body for the sport of swimming in the United States. We promote the culture of swimming by creating safe and healthy opportunities for athletes and coaches of all backgrounds to participate and advance in the sport through clubs, events, and education. Our membership is comprised of swimmers of every age and ability, all the way up to the Olympic Team, as well as coaches, officials, and volunteers.
USA Swimming is responsible for selecting and training teams for international competition, including the Olympic Games, and administer competitive swimming in accordance with the Ted Stevens Olympic & Amateur Sports Act.
The Communications Team supports the Commercial Division and the entire USA Swimming organization in the core functions of public relations (PR), media services, print publications, digital/social media, athlete marketing, and internal member communications. This position has primary responsibility over five full-time team members and is responsible for the oversight of all communications for USA Swimming and the USA Swimming Foundation.
- Work with the Chief Commercial Officer and other Strategy Team members to cultivate the public image of USA Swimming and the USA Swimming Foundation through internal and external communication channels.
- Responsible for all PR and media operations to include:
- PR initiatives for the organization (events, marketing campaigns, programs, etc.).
- Serve as the company spokesperson, or partner with other members of the Strategy Team to ensure proper delivery of important messaging.
- Manage press operations at all key domestic and international events, to include World Championships, Olympic Games, and others.
- Provide media training for U.S. athletes, coaches, senior management, and key volunteers.
- Collaborate with USA Swimming’s Partnership Marketing team on corporate sponsor PR efforts.
- Manage content for key USA Swimming communication vehicles to include:
Splash magazine editorial
- Usaswimming.org editorial
- Member communications
- Social and digital media
- Collaborate with the National Team Division to oversee athlete marketing efforts.
- Maintain the departmental budget and ensure prudent, fiscal responsibility.
- Responsible for the Communications team, ensuring strong employee performance, coaching, and supervision of direct reports.
- Work cross-functionally to develop important internal and external messaging.
- Respond appropriately and quickly to matters of significance that require a response from USA Swimming.
- Effective October 1, 2021, USA Swimming is requiring all employees to be vaccinated against COVID-19. In accordance with USA Swimming’s duty to provide and maintain a workplace that is free of known hazards, we are adopting this requirement to safeguard the health and safety of our team members, athletes, coaches, trainers, contractors, and vendors. Any and all job offers will be contingent upon proof of vaccination or an approved exemption from the requirement due to medical or religious reasons
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, PR, journalism, related field, or equivalent
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience working in PR/communication efforts within the sports or entertainment industry or within an agency setting
- Ability to travel up to 25% of the year, both domestically and internationally
- Must maintain documentation that would allow for international travel for the duration of employment
- Knowledge of common PR best practices
- Effective communication skills across all channels to ensure proper messaging is achieved and maintained
- Ability to adapt quickly in times of high communication needs and respond appropriately in a fast-paced environment
- A “can-do” attitude and ability to maintain a professional demeanor; not easily shaken by the opinions of others
- Excellent communication skills with staff and business partners in writing and verbally
Salary & Benefits:
- Salary range for this position is $110,000 - $145,000 / year
- Title and salary ultimately will be based upon a successful candidate’s experience and skillset
- Bonus Eligibility: Based on company performance, this position may be eligible for an annual bonus target of 10%
- Benefits available include:
o Medical, dental, and vision
o Company paid short-term and long-term disability
o Company paid life insurance
o Parental leave
o 401(k) w/ match after 1 year of service
o Profit sharing and safe harbor match after 2 years of service
o 12 paid holidays
This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, or qualifications associated with the job; other duties may be assigned.
USA Swimming is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital or veteran status, or any other protected class.