WHO IS USA LACROSSE
USA Lacrosse, a non-profit organization, is the governing body of men’s and women’s lacrosse in the United States, leading the U.S. National Teams Program and establishing universal standards. With nearly 400,000 members, we provide national leadership, structure, and resources to fuel and unify the sport's growth and enrich the experience of its players, coaches, officials, parents, and program leaders.
USA Lacrosse believes a diverse staff best positions our organization to fulfill its mission. We strive to attract and maintain a team of talented and dedicated professionals who reflect the diverse nature of our membership and the national lacrosse community. We are committed to a staff culture that ensures everyone feels welcomed, valued, and included.
- We Influence - Written and Verbal Communication
- We Serve - Customer Focused
- We Create & Innovate - Creativity
- We Collaborate - Peer Relationships
- We are Humble & Honest - Integrity and Trust
- We Embrace Individuality - Diversity
- We Have Fun – Work Hard and Play Hard
If this aligns with who you are and what you are looking for in an organization, keep reading.
USA Lacrosse is looking for a VP, National Teams, High Performance, & Safety to join our team who will provide strategic leadership for USA Lacrosse for our National Teams and Center for Sports Science & Safety departments, including oversight of the field, Box, and Sixes disciplines for the Women's National Teams, Men's National Teams, and National Teams Developmental Program (U16 and U18 Men’s and Women’s). This critical role provides strategic direction, leadership, oversight, and execution for the operations and administration of these areas, including, but not limited to, talent identification, athlete, coach, and staff selection, high-performance oversight and standardization, and athlete protection oversight and standardization.
This role gets to partner with the President & CEO to serve as a subject matter expert (SME), advocate, and member of the leadership team, providing direction to the Director, Center for Sports Science & Safety and Director, National Teams through strategic guidance and counsel for the overall development, operations, and direction of the department. The VP, National Teams, High-Performance, & Safety serves as the primary liaison (internally and externally), representing the interests, strategies, and goals of the National Teams with a focus on high performance and athlete protection, while ensuring an emphasis on diversity, equity, and inclusion in the sport to align with USA Lacrosse's mission, vision, and objectives.
If you have proven experience leading the operations and administration of high-performing athletic programs, advocating for the advancement of a sport, maintaining strict focus on athlete protection, health, training, and performance, all while focusing on diversity, equity, and inclusion, this could be an excellent opportunity for you. If you thrive in a work environment of accountability and want to work with a team of passionate, driven, and talented mission-focused professionals to support elite, gold medal winning athletes and coaches, keep reading.
A Typical Day Looks Like…
- Provides overall strategic direction and oversight for planning and implementing all initiatives related to USA Lacrosse’s National Teams (Women’s and Men’s), Athlete Protection, and High Performance for all disciplines of the sport, including field, Box, and Sixes.
- Collaborates cross-departmentally to incorporate National Teams, Athlete Protection, and High-Performance standards, practices, and initiatives throughout the organization for a unified message and direction.
- Establishes and cultivates strategic, collaborative, and cooperative partnerships with key governing bodies and constituency-based organizations, serving as the spokesperson and liaison for USA Lacrosse with World Lacrosse, the United States Olympic and Paralympic Committee (USOPC) and other related agencies. This includes establishing and strengthening collaborative and trusting relationships aimed at advancing USA Lacrosse’s initiatives as the governing body for lacrosse in the United States.
- Works closely with the Partnerships team to generate commercial revenue. This includes, but is not limited to, identifying potential partners and cultivating existing relationships to further initiatives and opportunities for the National Teams and Center for Sports Science & Safety, incorporating both endemic and non-endemic partnerships. Working with National Teams athletes and coaches, actively engages with and supports USA Lacrosse’s revenue generating initiatives.
- Collaborates with the marketing, communications, and membership teams to create concise and consistent strategies and messaging about the National Teams, including National Teams training and competition activity. Actively develops platforms with National Teams athletes and coaches to elevate the brand, engage fans, and support USA Lacrosse membership.
- Works closely with the Foundation team to establish and grow fundraising opportunities to support the Nationals Teams and Center for Sports Science & Safety. This includes actively engaging National Teams alumni athletes, coaches, and staff as donors to continue their involvement and backing of the program to support fundraising activities.
- Supports USA Lacrosse’s Center for Sports Science & Safety with their initiatives, including but not limited to, the use of data and development of best-in-class athlete protection, health, training, and performance.
- Serves as USA Lacrosse’s delegate for World Lacrosse. This includes, but is not limited to, attending meetings and events and being the voting voice for USA Lacrosse, always representing the best interests and goals of USA Lacrosse and our National Teams.
- Attends committee and subcommittee meetings to represent the National Teams program as necessary. This includes providing operational metrics and reports on National Teams, Athlete Protection, and High-Performance related initiatives.
- Reports to USA Lacrosse’s leadership team and respective Boards on the strategic direction, initiatives, and related outcomes of the National Teams, Athlete Protection, and High-Performance department. This includes wins, opportunities, and areas of assessed risk.
- Maintains the governance, compliance, and operations of the National Teams, Athlete Protection, and High-Performance department, ensuring the upmost professionalism and adherence to ethical standards and practices.
- Sets the National Teams competition, athlete, and coach calendars, including but not limited to, leading the coach selection processes, determining when and where our National Teams will compete, and developing year-round National Teams athlete engagement.
- Serves as the SME for all National Teams, Athlete Protection, and High-Performance related initiatives, continually imploring the guidance and counsel of experts in the field to ensure USA Lacrosse is at the forefront of development and continually following and establishing best practices in the sport.
- Serves as the “face” of USA Lacrosse, representing the National Teams by attending speaking events, conducting interviews, participating in panel discussions, etc. This includes participating in committees and professional organizations that pertain to the position and USA Lacrosse.
- As part of the leadership team, participates in long-range planning and assessment and ensures the annual business plan for the department aligns with the goals, initiatives, strategies, and objectives of USA Lacrosse and the advancement of the National Teams and Center for Sport for Sports Science & Safety.
- Establishes the annual budget and financial projections for National Teams, Athlete Protection, and High-Performance department and related costs. This includes establishing what is needed in compete and non-compete years.
Is This You…
- Seven (7) plus years of experience in the field of sports operations, athletic team administration, and/or high-performance; working for a governing body on a national and/or international level is a plus. Collegiate athletics experience is preferred.
- Proven experience overseeing the administration and operations of athletic competitions and/or teams.
- Previous experience playing and/or coaching on a high-performance team to understand the dynamics necessary to build competitive and winning athletic programs.
- Demonstrated experience leading advocacy/advancement initiatives to grow and further the initiatives of successful programs, including the ability to coordinate and lead volunteers and committees toward a common goal/objective.
- Ability to set and to evaluate KPIs to develop an elite athletic program for success and growth. This includes identifying and establishing metrics to measure success toward athletic advancement and high-performance.
- Proven ability developing and cultivating relationships, both internal and external, to drive support for success.
- Project management skills, including the ability to lead through change and influence stakeholders toward a common vision/goal while working cross-departmentally.
- Ability to identify potential donors and develop relationships to solicit gifts and build relationships with current and prospective donors.
- Understanding and experience with sponsorship monetization of sport teams/programs and athletes.
- Intermediate to advanced computer skills with working knowledge of Microsoft 365 products, including Word, Excel, Outlook, Teams, and PowerPoint.
- Knowledge of software’s such as SalesForce, or comparable database applications, used to track, monitor, and report on data with the aptitude to learn new software/programs.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to multi-task and keep data organized for thorough analysis and reporting.
- Excellent communication skills, including interpersonal, written, and verbal.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively as part of a team with a “hands on” mentality. This includes the ability to be self-managed to work in a hybrid (in-office/work from home) environment.
- Ability to manage a team to ensure performance standards are met/exceeded, there is a culture of accountability, and employees have access to professional development to allow them to grow.
- Demonstrated adherence to the highest ethical standards for self and team with a commitment to continued professional growth and development.
- Discretion to handle sensitive and confidential matters and information.
- Ability to present a professional persona and presence to build relationships and establish credibility.
- Ability to be flexible with work schedule, including availability to work nights and weekends and travel based on event needs. This position will require overnight travel for National Teams events.
- Willingness to learn about the sport of lacrosse and appreciate the need for developing funds to fuel its development and growth with diversity, equity, and inclusion as a focus.
- Ability to align with USA Lacrosse’s Mission, Vision, and Values and Strategic Plan to support our initiatives and organizational goals.
Expected Hours of Work
This position is generally expected to work Monday through Friday from 8:30am to 5:00pm. During competition and training periods and for USA Lacrosse events, there will be requirements for longer hours during the week and/or on weekends based on events and other business needs. This is a hybrid position and works from the headquarters office in Sparks, MD three (3) days a week with the flexibility to work from home two (2) days a week.
Travel may be necessary up to 25% of the time (local, regional, international). Travel would involve the following mode(s) of travel: car, train, or air. Out of area and overnight travel will be expected.
USA Lacrosse is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, veteran status, or any other status/characteristic protected under federal, state, or local law. USA Lacrosse believes diversity and inclusion among our team is critical to our success as an organization, and we seek to recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool.