USA Fencing is the National Governing Body (NGB) for the sport of fencing in the United States. Its mission is to grow and promote the sport of fencing in the United States, honor its rich traditions and achieve sustained international success.
USA Fencing is an equal opportunity employer committed to increasing the diversity of its community. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, age, religion, gender identity or expression, disability, or sexual orientation. To learn more about USA Fencing’s diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging efforts, please visit our DEIB page at: https://www.usafencing.org/deib.
The Staff Accountant is responsible for performing daily accounting and administrative activities of USA Fencing, including assisting with month-end and year-end close processes, accounts payable and accounts receivable, positing to the general ledger, information technology, human resources and other tasks as assigned. This individual reports to the Chief Financial Officer and serves as the direct supervisor for the Accounting Assistant and/or Accounting Intern as appropriate. This position also works closely with all the National Officer staff as well as tournament staff and volunteers and the membership.
- Enter, review and process purchase requisitions
- Process check/ACH run, wire transfers and obtain proper authorizations
- Post monthly credit card activity and review of expense reports for accuracy and completion of documentation
- Monthly reconciliation of accounts payable and follow-up on pending items
- Ensure proper documentation for new vendors (including W-9s) and maintenance of accounts payable files
- Prepare and issue annual 1099s
- Assist with the preparation and issuance of the annual 1042s and monthly deposits
- Create invoices as requested by staff for sponsors, purchase orders, athlete travel cost reimbursements and other program participation fees
- Process virtual terminal deposits
- Prepare check and cash deposits and record in accounting system
- Review Accounts Receivable and follow-up on items
- Reconcile credit card deposits with the membership system
- Set-up new customers
- Prepare monthly account reconciliations for additional review/approval
- Monthly reconciliation of advances, deferred revenue and prepaid accounts along with preparation of follow-up journal entries, other accounts
- Prepare journal entries as needed for CFO approval and post into accounting system
- Prepare membership deferred revenue spreadsheet and posts deferred membership
- Manage and prepare payroll and employee records through ADP
- Maintain sales tax receipts and reports
- Coordinate preparation of audit materials
- Assist with filing sales tax (multiple jurisdictions)
- Provide other general accounting support as needed
Other General National Office Duties
- Update and maintenance accounting and employee files and records;
- Coordinate office equipment maintenance;
- Manage Information Technology vendor relationship and be primary contact for IT issues; and
- Due to the small number of employees in the National Office, various requirements may arise that requires the CFO and CEO to assign duties that may not be specified in this job description.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting with at least 3-5 years of experience in finance/accounting preferred with a focus on bookkeeping (preferably with a focus on non-profit)
- Understanding of accounting principles, policies and processes
- Proficiency in accounting software (Sage Intacct and QuickBooks experience preferred)
- Experience in ADP processes, including payroll and reports
- Strong general IT knowledge
- Acute attention to details
- Proficient with Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Adobe PDF, Gmail and website content management systems
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills; self-starter with the ability to manage priorities and workflow
- Commitment to excellence and high standards
- Versatility, flexibility, and a willingness to work within constantly changing priorities
- Ability to travel as needed (approximately 5-10%)
- Excellent customer service skills
- Enjoys being part of improving and streamlining processes
- Ability to work independently and as a member of various teams and committees
- Proven ability to handle multiple projects and meet deadlines
- Good judgment with the ability to make timely and sound decisions
- Ability to work on complex projects with general direction and minimal guidance
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to understand and follow written and verbal instructions
- Ability to work and communicate effectively with a diverse group of individuals at all organizational levels
- Communication: Writes and speaks clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Listens and gets clarification; Presents numerical data effectively; Participates in meetings.
- Diversity: Demonstrates willingness to gain knowledge of EEO policies; Shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences; Educates others on value of diversity; Promotes a harassment-free environment.
- Ethics: Treats people with respect; Keeps commitments; Inspires the trust of others; Works with integrity and ethically; Upholds organizational values.
- Planning/Organizing: Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Plans for additional resources; Sets goals and objectives; Organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; Develops realistic action plans.
- Technical Skills--Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; Willingness to pursues training and
development opportunities offered by the company; Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; Shares expertise with others
- Problem Solving: Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
Starting Salary Range
$50,000 – $59,999K annually – Commensurate with experience
- Paid vacation, personal and sick time
- 9 paid holidays per year
- 401(k) retirement plan, with employer match
- Comprehensive benefits package (medical, dental, vision, life insurance)
- The USA Fencing National Office is located in Colorado Springs, CO; ability to work from National Office is preferred.
- This is a full time non-exempt position with competitive pay and flexible schedule.
To be considered, applicants must submit a cover letter and resume.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or physical requirements. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.