Communications Coordinator Job Description
USA Fencing is the National Governing Body (NGB) for the sport of fencing in the United States. Its mission is to grow and promote the sport of fencing in the United States, honor its rich traditions and achieve sustained international success.
USA Fencing is an equal opportunity employer committed to increasing the diversity of its community. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, age, religion, gender identity or expression, disability, or sexual orientation. To learn more about USA Fencing’s diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging efforts, please visit our DEIB page at: https://www.usafencing.org/deib.
The Communications Coordinator is responsible for promoting USA Fencing’s athletes at all levels, including grassroots, veteran, junior and youth athletes. In addition, this position will assist with updating the USA Fencing website and social media channels. This person also will assist with production of American Fencing magazine as well as membership e-newsletters. This person will report to the Director of Communications.
- Manage organizational website, including staff contributions, page layout and design.
- Write feature articles for the website and magazine on athletes, clubs and key constituents of USA Fencing.
- Engage with the communications, membership and development departments to develop new initiatives, including local outreach, donor relations and promotion of member benefits.
- Publicize upcoming events, athlete achievements, competition results and other newsworthy subjects.
- Maintain lists of national and hometown media contacts.
- Track media coverage weekly for senior, junior, cadet, veteran and paralympic national team members as well as pertinent club news.
- Serve as a resource for hometown media outlets.
- Promote athlete, coach and club recognition programs.
- Assist with updating www.usfencing.org and social media channels, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube.
- Maintain athlete and coach bios, including updating domestic and international event results.
- Create marketing support materials such as athlete cards, merchandise signs and other projects as applicable.
- Assist the publisher of American Fencing Magazine, including editing, layout, copy, photography, ad sales and content management.
- Provide excellent customer service to USA Fencing members and media contacts.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, public/media relations, communications or equivalent, and relevant, experience.
- 1-3 years of post-graduate experience in journalism, sports information, media relations or a related field.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills. Highly developed verbal and written communications
- Proficiency with content management systems required with HTML knowledge a plus.
- Proficiency in AP Style required.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite and/or video editing products (Final Cut Pro, Elements) is preferred.
- Ability to collaborate with other departments as well as outside organizations and constituents.
- Ability to prioritize projects, manage time efficiently, handle details and follow several projects simultaneously to conclusion.
- Experience in the fencing industry and/or sport background is a valuable qualification, although not required.
- Written Communication: Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Varies writing style to meet needs; Presents numerical data effectively.
- Adaptability: Adapts to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Diversity: Demonstrates willingness to gain knowledge of EEO policies; Shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences; Educates others on value of diversity; Promotes a harassment-free environment.
- Ethics: Treats people with respect; Keeps commitments; Inspires the trust of others; Works with integrity and ethically; Upholds organizational values.
- Oral Communication: Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Demonstrates group presentation skills; Participates in meetings.
- Planning/Organizing: Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Plans for additional resources; Sets goals and objectives; Organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; Develops realistic action plans.
Starting Salary Range
- $40,000 - 55,000 annually – Commensurate with experience
- Paid vacation, personal and sick time
- 9 paid holidays per year
- 401(k) retirement plan
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- Employer paid life insurance
- The USA Fencing National Office is located in Colorado Springs, CO; ability to work from National Office is preferred.
- This is a full time exempt position with competitive pay and flexible schedule.
To be considered, applicants must submit a cover letter, resume and 2-3 published writing samples. Applicants also may provide additional multi-media work samples.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or physical requirements. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.