*In order to be considered for this role, after clicking "apply now" above and being redirected, you must fully complete the application process on the follow-up screen. *
U.S. Soccer Overview
We are U.S. Soccer and we are the future of sport in the United States. Our mission is to make soccer the preeminent sport in the United States. We embrace diversity, technology and global connections to drive the growth of our sport and serve our athletes and fans. We seek motivated, passionate, skilled people who can think, create and work on a team.
U.S. Soccer is a growing company that looks for team members to grow with it. U.S. Soccer offers a comprehensive compensation package, casual work environment, an inclusive culture and an atmosphere for professional development.
The Federation’s core principles set organization-wide standards to identify and foster our culture and inform how we interact and hold each other accountable. These principles guide U.S. Soccer: We Win Together. We Aim High. We Champion Diversity, Equity & Inclusion. To be successful as a USSF employee, it is critical to demonstrate and live up to these principles every day and with every interaction with peers, stakeholders, and partners.
The Federation’s core values are the individual attributes and characteristics that staff embody to uphold the organization’s principles and succeed. These values guide our employees: Integrity. Commitment. Teamwork. Respect.
U.S. Soccer oversees a social media community of more than 13 million followers across Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and YouTube, with the opportunity to expand this reach to other emerging platforms.
All social media strategy is ideated and executed out of U.S. Soccer’s headquarters in Chicago, with a team working to create compelling content for fans who follow the U.S. Men’s National Team, Women’s National Team, Youth National Teams, and Extended National Teams. Building awareness and driving support for the Coaching Education, Talent ID, High Performance and Referee departments is also a critical point of emphasis in growing the game at a grassroots level to help make soccer the preeminent sport in the United States.
U.S. Soccer’s social media strategy draws from the company’s Content, Brand, Corporate Partnerships and Communications departments and takes a collaborative approach to managing each outlet. The social media team has a deep-seeded knowledge of the Federation’s goals and a passion for building meaningful relationships with soccer supporters everywhere.
The Social Media Manager will be responsible for the continued evolution of U.S. Soccer's social media platforms through content creation, fan engagement, meticulous organization, and a willingness to push creative boundaries. This person is curious and adaptable and is on the forefront of innovation and social media trends both within sport and beyond.
- Manage and set strategy for U.S. Soccer’s social media platforms aligned with U.S. Soccer’s short and long-term goals in effort to raise the profile of U.S. Soccer, generate continuous engagement with fans and increase followers.
- Develop channel, platform, and messaging strategies to optimize our impact and effectively connect and engage with various U.S. Soccer audiences across platforms and accounts.
- Build, organize and manage social media calendars for posts and campaigns in collaboration with stakeholders throughout the organization.
- Cover live events across multiple platforms and create in-the-moment content exclusive to social media. Event coverage includes National Team games, Youth National Team games, Open Cup matches, Hall of Fame Inductions, World Cup draws, press conferences, and more.
- Partner with insights and analytics teams to set learning agenda and incorporate findings into real-time improvements for social plans.
- Write succinct, attention-grabbing social copy that promotes engagement and resonates with U.S. Soccer’s diverse audiences unique to each account.
- Conceptualize and execute high-impact campaigns around Federation tent pole programs.
- Have and maintain an in-depth knowledge of best practices and remain at the forefront of innovation for each platform.
- In collaboration with the Content Team, ideate, develop, edit and post content throughout U.S. Soccer’s ecosystem of social media channels
- Develop a plan to proactively interact with fans across U.S. Soccer social communities by responding to customer service inquiries, joining in relevant conversations, and identifying trends.
- Collaborate with U.S. Soccer’s corporate sponsorship department to ensure sponsored content delivers and complies with platform and sponsor requirements.
- Work closely with Coaching, Referee, Talent ID and High Performance departments to develop a cohesive social media presence and strategy that highlights the work U.S. Soccer does to grow the sport beyond the senior National Teams.
- Promote inclusivity, conversation and engagement on platforms by joining in relevant conversations and aligning with meaningful cultural trends.
- Ideate and assist in the creation of graphics and videos that push the Federation forward in its visual identity while protecting brand guidelines.
- Assist in U.S. Soccer influencer program by finding new high-profile fans and ideating ways to activate around big events.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Professional experience working in the Content Marketing/Social Media industry
- Excellent writing ability and mastery of AP style and soccer terminology
- Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects, Premiere)
- Able and willing to travel up to 40% of the year
- When not traveling, able to work out of U.S. Soccer’s headquarters in Chicago, Illinois (this position will not be remote after Sept 1st)
- Able and willing to work non-traditional hours including evenings and weekends as needed
- 3-5 years of experience working in the Content Marketing/Social Media preferred
- Spanish speaking is a plus
- Knowledge of online marketing channels and SEO
- Familiarity with publishing and updating high-traffic websites in CMS
Working at U.S. Soccer is a unique opportunity. Employees who work at U.S. Soccer have the following attributes:
- Live our Principles & Values
- Adopt a company centric approach—Serve the Athlete and the Fan
- Embrace and see learning as a lifelong pursuit
- Possess a growth mindset—keeps an open mind and seeks new challenges
- Practice self-assessment and self-reflection
- Open to criticism and does not make excuses
- Possess a tireless work ethic
- Wants to be part of a team that wins
- Has the ability to be firm but fair
- Communicate in a direct, open and honest manner
- Build relationships through genuine interpersonal skills