Monumental Sports & Entertainment (MSE), located in Washington, D.C., is one of the largest integrated sports and entertainment companies in the country with one of the most diverse partnership groups in all of sports. MSE owns and operates seven professional sports teams: the 2018 Arena Football League champion Washington Valor, AFL’s Baltimore Brigade, NBA's Washington Wizards, NBA G League’s Capital City Go-Go, NBA 2K League’s Wizards District Gaming, the 2018 NHL Stanley Cup Champion Washington Capitals and the WNBA's Washington Mystics. The company is also co-owner of aXiomatic, which has controlling interest in global esports franchise Team Liquid, and owns and operates Capital One Arena in Washington, D.C. Monumental Sports & Entertainment also manages MedStar Capitals Iceplex, the state-of-the-art training facility for the Capitals and EagleBank Arena on George Mason University's campus. In conjunction with the District of Columbia and Events DC, MSE is a partner in a new sports and entertainment facility in Southeast DC on the St. Elizabeth’s East campus that opened in September 2018. Facility highlights include MedStar Wizards Performance Center, the brand-new training facility for the Wizards, Go-Go and Mystics, and a 4,200-seat arena which will serve as the new home of the Mystics and Go-Go. Monumental Sports & Entertainment also co-owns and operates Monumental Sports Network (MSN) with the NBC Sports Group. MSN is the mid-Atlantic region’s top destination for exclusive fan experiences and original sports content across desktop, tablet, mobile and OTT streaming devices. www.monumentalsports.com
MSE proudly promotes its core values for all those that interact with the company. As a member of our team:
- You will provide first-class customer service and value for our fans.
- You will champion a double-bottom line that engages, unifies and gives back to the community we serve.
- You will work tirelessly to build generationally exceptional teams that compete for championships year after year and create lifelong memories for our fans.
- You will measure performance with specific objectives and metrics and our analysis and decisions are compelled by data.
- You will prize leadership, but you should value teamwork and collaboration and transparency even more. We treat each other with respect. We act with honesty and integrity. We remain humble.
- You will innovate. We are nimble and first to market. We are not averse to risk.
- You will have fun. We are in the business of happiness.
Position Overview: The Vice President, Research is responsible for leading all internal research initiatives, with the prime objective of identifying competitive advantages to winning championships. This position will identify, analyze, and deliver the key information to support the organizational strategies, critical decisions, and day to day operational needs of Monumental Basketball Operations.
- Identify optimal strategies relating to player evaluation, game management, in-game tactics, roster building, contract and salary cap strategy, and broader league trends.
- Collaborate with the Information Technology department to maintain a dynamic and secure information system that anticipates the needs of Monumental Basketball Operations staff.
- Provide the Basketball Operations Department with the best empirical data and data analysis available, ensuring objectivity and integrity of information through rigorous analytical methodologies and standards.
- Create analytical models to test, evaluate, and validate alignment of strategies and decisions across Basketball Operations with organizations goals.
- Participate in meetings and strategic discussions with senior leadership of Basketball Operations.
- Support coaching and scouting staffs in research projects.
- Present latest work and findings to senior leadership and ownership.
- Prepare the Annual Report for the Research Department.
- Support VP of Basketball Analytics in salary cap and contract and research projects.
- Identify, evaluate, and work with third party vendors supporting research and analytics functions.
- Oversee research department staff, including internship program.
- Track and lead research projects to ensure prudent allocation of resources and timely completion of task and deliverable.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Master's degree in statistics, mathematics, or similar field.
- 5+ years of post-graduate professional experience.
- Excellent analytical skills, experienced researching and analyzing data.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong people skills, is collaborative, and enjoys working in a team.
- Strong time management skills and is highly organized.
- Detailed driven, creative, and pragmatic.
- Flexibility to work evenings, weekends, and holidays as needed.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.