Monumental Sports & Entertainment (MSE), located in Washington, D.C., is one of the largest integrated sports and entertainment companies in the country with one of the most diverse partnership groups in all of sports. MSE owns and operates five professional sports teams: the 2019 WNBA Champion Washington Mystics, the 2018 NHL Stanley Cup Champion Washington Capitals, NBA's Washington Wizards, NBA G League’s Capital City Go-Go, and NBA 2K League’s Wizards District Gaming. The company is also co-owner of aXiomatic, which has controlling interest in global esports franchise Team Liquid, and owns and operates Capital One Arena in Washington, D.C. Monumental Sports & Entertainment also manages MedStar Capitals Iceplex, the state-of-the-art training facility for the Capitals and EagleBank Arena on George Mason University's campus. In conjunction with the District of Columbia and Events DC, MSE is a partner in a new sports and entertainment facility in Southeast DC on the St. Elizabeth’s East campus that opened in September 2018. Facility highlights include MedStar Wizards Performance Center, the brand-new training facility for the Wizards, Go-Go and Mystics, and a 4,200-seat arena which serves as the new home of the Mystics and Go-Go. Monumental Sports & Entertainment also co-owns and operates Monumental Sports Network (MSN) with the NBC Sports Group. MSN is the mid-Atlantic region’s top destination for exclusive fan experiences and original sports content across desktop, tablet, mobile and OTT streaming devices. Visit www.monumentalsports.com.
MSE proudly promotes its core values for all those that interact with the company. As a member of our team:
- You will provide first-class customer service and value for our fans.
- You will champion a double-bottom line that engages, unifies and gives back to the community we serve.
- You will work tirelessly to build generationally exceptional teams that compete for championships year after year and create lifelong memories for our fans.
- You will measure performance with specific objectives and metrics and our analysis and decisions are compelled by data.
- You will prize leadership, but you should value teamwork and collaboration and transparency even more. We treat each other with respect. We act with honesty and integrity. We remain humble.
- You will innovate. We are nimble and first to market. We are not averse to risk.
- You will have fun. We are in the business of happiness.
Position Overview: The Senior Software Engineer will be a key member of the Research team who will work closely with the VP of Research and the Chief Planning and Operations Officer as a full stack developer and software engineering team leader. This position will be responsible for development operations, database maintenance and structure, ETL process, and front end web UI/UX. This leader will help set the strategic goals for the department and work closely with the Wizards’ Strategy and Analytics group on projects impacting the organization’s way we make decisions.
Are you a creative problem solver who is passionate about optimizing the user experience through innovative design? We would love to hear from you!
- Lead software engineering efforts for the Research team.
- Lead all programming aspects of the backend to include database structure and management, API requests for web UI/UX, ETL process for new and changed data sources. Written in Python for all ETL, API and other cloud functions and stored in Big Query and CloudSQL.
- Maintain and update web platform.
- Support third party vendors integration with Monumental basketball’s internal research processes.
- Work with the VP of Research to identify answers to strategic questions as put forth by the Monumental Basketball staff, including areas of player evaluation, game management, in-game tactics, roster building, salary cap strategy, and broader league trends.
- Collaborate internally to provide the basketball operations departments with the best empirical data and data analysis available, ensuring objectivity and integrity of information through meticulous analytical models.
- Collaborate with the Information Technology department to maintain a secured multifaceted information system that anticipates the needs of Monumental Basketball Operations staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- 5+ years' experience with back-end engineering and markdown languages.
- Expertise with Big Query, MySQL, relational databases and database design.
- Software development experience, including requirements definition, design, development, testing, implementation, and iterative improvement.
- Strong curiosity and passion for researching and learning new technologies.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Good work ethic and creative problem solving capabilities.
- Positive attitude and enjoys collaborating with a team as part of something bigger than yourself.
- Flexibility to work evenings, weekends, and holidays as needed.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.