The Manager, FP&A is responsible for managing the FP&A function for the Detroit Tigers, partnering across business and baseball to build plans and drive informed decision-making. The Manager, FP&A will oversee key internal and external reporting functions, leveraging technology and data to drive efficiency and improved business intelligence. The role will also be responsible for managing critical strategic projects and identifying opportunities to maximize profitability and optimize resource allocation.
- Manage and integrate key financial reports, including budget, monthly projections, cash flow projections, and 5-year plan.
- Partnering across all departments to build plans, analyze financial impact, and propose solutions.
- Perform market and industry analysis and make recommendations to guide business strategy, improve profitability, and optimize allocation of resources.
- Oversee compilation and review of MLB reporting, including but not limited to, revenue sharing and use of proceeds, the Financial Information Questionnaire (“FIQ”) and interim FIQs, Debt Service Rule compliance, deferred compensation funding, and extended benefits.
- Collaborate with Business Analytics team to build finance specific tools and visualizations to drive improved business intelligence and insights.
- Build financial models to aid in financial analysis and scenario planning and drive informed decision-making, along with profitability analysis, variance analysis, ROI analysis, and other needs.
- Manage cross-functional projects across business and baseball, and develop supporting materials to facilitate approvals.
- Build relationships across all departments to improve collaboration and drive integrated planning. Serve as a resource and business advisor for the organization in all matters related to revenue growth, expense management, resource allocation, and profitability.
- Prepare analyses requested for all levels of management on an ad hoc basis.
- Coach and develop Financial Analyst.
- Leverage technical skillset to drive automation and create tools for more timely analysis and operational efficiencies.
- Continuously evaluate existing finance and accounting processes and identify areas for improvement or automation.
- Assist with other projects within the finance team on an as needed basis.
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, Accounting, or related field.
- Masters Degree, MBA, CPA, or CFA preferred.
- 5+ years of experience in Finance, Accounting, or related field.
- Baseball or sports industry experience preferred.
- Significant statistical and/or financial analysis and modeling skills.
- Thorough knowledge of accounting principles to ensure that financial results are in conformity with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
- Demonstrated experience in financial analysis, variance analysis, profitability analysis, ROI analysis, capital budgeting, and financial/business intelligence reporting.
- Strong computer knowledge including Microsoft Office (Excel, Word) skills. Experience with business intelligence visualizations and data analysis preferred.
- Exposure to accounting software (Oracle, etc.) preferred, but not required.
- Must be willing to learn, have a strong desire to succeed, and the ability to identify innovative solutions to problems.
- Outstanding interpersonal and relationship building skills with the ability to work across all departments and vertically at all levels of the organization.
- Ability to manage multiple projects at once and possess strong ability to prioritize.
- Possess the highest integrity and ethical standards and the ability to command and inspire trust with all constituents.