In order to be considered for this role, after clicking "apply now" above and being redirected, you must fully complete the application process on the follow-up screen.
The Detroit Tigers are currently seeking a Cloud Data Engineer, Baseball Systems. This role will be responsible for designing, managing, and automating data processes across our data architecture to support Baseball Operations initiatives. This position will report to the Director, Baseball Systems.
- Design, implement, and maintain our data architecture and processing pipelines at scale.
- Design, implement, and use data quality assurance frameworks to support the process of identifying inconsistent data patterns.
- Work with Tigers data engineers and data scientists to implement good data hygiene practices and procedures in our data processes.
- Work with external data vendors to triage and remedy data quality issues.
- Automate and execute test cases in data pipelines and manage data issue tracking.
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- 2+ years of relevant work experience in data engineering using SQL and Python.
- Familiarity with cloud computing, cloud storage, and cloud services – preferably Azure.
- Familiarity with cloud-based data lakes, data warehouses, and related tooling.
- Experience using Apache Spark (Databricks on Azure preferred).
- Knowledgeable with data strategies and practices, such as continuous integration, regression testing, and versioning.
- Experience querying SQL data warehouses built for data science and analytics.
- Understanding of data quality frameworks and best practices for implementation.
- Familiarity with baseball and with current baseball research.
PREFERRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Familiarity with Airflow.
- Strong SQL skills (T-SQL preferred).
- Effective communication skills with an ability to explain technical concepts to developers and business partners.
- Experience in generating reports and visuals on large data sources.
- Experience with DevOps practices for CI\CD pipelines.
- Experience working with containers and container deployment.
- Familiarity with open-source data quality frameworks (Great Expectations preferred).
- Office environment.
- The location may be based in Detroit or fully remote.
- Occasional evening, weekend, and holiday hours are required.
The above is intended to describe the essential job functions, the general supplemental functions, and the essential requirements for the performance of this job. It is not construed as an exhaustive statement of all additional duties, responsibilities, or nonessential requirements. Detroit Tigers, Inc has the right to change, modify, suspend, interrupt, or cancel in whole or in part any job functions outlined in a job description at any time and without advance notice to the employee.
All items listed above are illustrative and not comprehensive. They are not contractual in nature and are subject to change at the discretion of Detroit Tigers.
Detroit Tigers is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regards to that individual’s race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
The Company will strive to provide reasonable accommodations to permit qualified applicants who have a need for an accommodation to participate in the hiring process (e.g., accommodations for a job interview) if so requested.