Founded by Josh Harris and David Blitzer, Harris Blitzer Sports & Entertainment (HBSE) includes in its portfolio the Philadelphia 76ers, the New Jersey Devils, leading venue Prudential Center in Newark, N.J., the GRAMMY Museum Experience Prudential Center, the Delaware Blue Coats, the Binghamton Devils, the Sixers Innovation Lab, and renowned esports franchise Dignitas. Led by some of the best and brightest minds across a diverse spectrum of industries, HBSE positions itself as one of the most pioneering, innovative global sports and entertainment businesses to date. HBSE also strives to positively impact the local communities in which it operates through the powerful platform of sports.
HBSE offers an energetic work environment built on collaboration, growth, and a quest to excel in everything we do. Prudential Center in downtown Newark, N.J. hosts more than 175 concerts, family shows and special events annually and is the fourth-ranked sports and entertainment venue in the U.S. by Pollstar and Billboard. It is home to the New Jersey Devils, a renowned NHL franchise with three Stanley Cup championships and a proud, passionate fan base. Prudential Center is also home to the brand-new GRAMMY Museum Experience, the first and only of its kind on the east coast.
Position Summary: The Data Scientist will work in the Research and Development team within the front office of the Philadelphia 76ers, supporting basketball decision-making at all levels: front office, coaching, scouting, sports science and training. A successful applicant will have a strong technical foundation and be passionate about better understanding the game of basketball using advanced statistical techniques and machine learning.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Exploit complex player-tracking datasets, turning raw data into basketball concepts and insights
- Develop statistical models to accurately evaluate and forecast player and team performance
- Apply data-driven research to advance strategic thought within the organization
Qualifications (educational, experience, & basic knowledge requirements):
- 2+ years of experience in a research-oriented position, responsible for conducting novel research on a technical topic
- Direct experience with supervised and unsupervised learning techniques, e.g. regression models, decision trees, neural networks, and clustering methods
- Demonstrated passion for basketball
- Be a critical thinker, eager to both give and receive feedback
- Embrace a dynamic, changing, diversified workload
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.