Atlanta Falcons Beat Writer - Atlanta Falcons Football Club (Flowery Branch · GA)
About the Atlanta Falcons
- Actively Listen – Take an active role in listening by being present in the moment, using healthy body language, and ensuring joint understanding. When we read between the lines and hear what others are saying and what they are not saying, we encounter amazing opportunities to go the extra mile in serving them.
- Collaborate – Realize that we are better together than we are alone. We achieve much better results when others have the opportunity to add their diverse perspectives. Be open to feedback and actively seek input from a variety of people at varying levels because the best ideas come from those who are closest to those we serve.
- Engage in Servant Leadership – Put others ahead of yourself even when it’s difficult. Find opportunities to lead by example in the way you pitch in and help others. Giving back to others is at the heart of what we do.
- Build Relationships – Cultivate trust in relationships by showing respect and sensitivity. Invest time in helping others to continuously improve by listening to their ideas and helping them to continuously improve.
- Own Results – Own issues you encounter even when they are outside of your area of responsibility by taking action or seeking out the needed resolution. You are empowered and expected to take risks aimed at exceeding the expectations of our guests. Take advantage of this rare opportunity by utilizing available resources.
This is not a typical beat writer position for a typical team site. We are building AtlantaFalcons.com to be the source for Atlanta Falcons news.
- Takes great pride in that every key storyline is covered on AtlantaFalcons.com, and first when possible
- Helps create and manage a detailed editorial calendar for Falcons digital properties
- Aids in the growth of the Falcons editorial vision, voice, and strategy to help create more daily visitors and followers
- Writes unique, compelling short- and long-form stories / editorials covering the Falcons, both on and off the field. Focus will be on covering press conferences, practices, games, individual players and coaching staff.
- Maintains SEO best practices in creating content - written, video, or audio
- Writes factual news reports with engaging storylines and headlines
- Must build trust, strong relationships with players, coaches and football staff to find stories that others miss
- Helps to shape and define a youthful Falcons football voice and perspective
- Demonstrates aggressive growth in KPI metrics
- Publishes articles, photos, and videos to the site’s CMS
- Covers key community relations storylines and activations
- Links site metrics to overall communications and brand metrics for evaluation of strategy versus execution
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum 3-5 years' experience in journalism, media, editorial newsroom, or related field
- Strong news judgement and editorial skills, including proven success driving metrics and engagement within digital / social media platforms
- Ability to meet aggressive editorial deadlines
- Experience working on multiple platforms, including podcasts and video, is preferred
- Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite including Photoshop, InDesign, etc. Basic knowledge of HTML and CSS is helpful.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a high-paced, demanding professional setting
- Experience with digital / web and social publishing tools. Knowledge of NFL CMS platform preferred.
- Demonstrated experience managing projects and teams
- Candidates selected to interview must submit a versatile clips package (4-6 stories) demonstrating ability to ability to write breaking news, game coverage/analysis on deadline, feature profiles and outside-the-box stories
- Some travel required