Las Vegas Motor Speedway / Sonoma Raceway
Las Vegas Motor Speedway and Sonoma Raceway are key locations in the Speedway Motorsports nationwide network of entertainment venues. Speedway Motorsports maintains a consistent focus on four core principles:
- Take care of our teammates
- Be known for remarkable events
- Make a positive impact on the community
- Profitably improve our business and operations
Las Vegas Motor Speedway (LVMS), located just 15 miles north of the world-famous Las Vegas Strip, is the country’s most diverse motorsports facility. Featuring more than a dozen different racing venues, LVMS is home to two NASCAR major-event weekends that include the NASCAR Cup, Xfinity and Camping World Truck Series races as well as two NHRA Camping World Drag Racing Series events. Las Vegas Motor Speedway also hosts North America’s largest electronic music festival – the Electric Daisy Carnival – and is home to more than 1,300 events throughout the year including weekly stock car racing, drag racing, driving schools and many corporate events.
Sonoma Raceway (SR), located at the gateway to the Sonoma Valley, is Northern California's premier motor-sports destination, featuring a world-class 12-turn, 2.52-mile road course, quarter-mile drag strip and karting center. Its annual race schedule is headlined by the NASCAR Cup Series and the NHRA Camping World Drag Racing Series. In addition, Sonoma Raceway owns and operates the Sears Point Racing Experience offering high-performance driving courses, racing programs, safe driver training, corporate outings, manufacturer showcases, go-karting and more. Sonoma Raceway is also home to a motor-sports industrial park housing more than 70 businesses.
Las Vegas Motor Speedway and Sonoma Raceway are wholly owned subsidiaries of Speedway Motorsports, a leading marketer, promoter and sponsor of motorsports entertainment in the United States.
The Communications Manager will be based at Las Vegas Motor Speedway and report to the Vice President of Communications for LVMS and Sonoma Raceway, primarily supporting public relations, content creation, media relations and event publicity for both venues and additional Speedway Motorsports facilities as required.
The ideal candidate will adopt a GLOBE mentality. GLOBE stands for Generously Lending Our Best Efforts. This is done by holding themselves and their teammates accountable for taking our best practices “the last mile” – optimizing them for maximum value to all of our stakeholders while sharing insights on how to improve our company. The ideal candidate will also be a productive and proactive self-starter who is passionate about his/her duties and wiling to put forth the extra effort to achieve excellence.
- Generate ideas, content and execute imaginative publicity plans through multimedia storytelling leading to increased coverage from print, broadcast and digital media outlets during event and non-event times
- Social media – work closely with the director(s) of marketing to support/assist development of social planning and content creation
- Work closely with both the Vice President and Director of Communications to best position LVMS/SR with all media outlets on national, regional and local levels
- Corporate leadership/support - maintain an active role on Speedway Motorsports’ communications team to improve overall corporate communication, effectiveness and efficiency
- Write press releases, coordinate press conferences and manage media distribution lists
- Support maintenance of LVMS/SR websites, including uploading content, editing and proofing for accuracy/timeliness
- Manage photo archive systems and coordinate event photographers
- Manage event staff and media center set-up
- Recruit/manage communications department interns
- Assist in management and approval of media credentials
- Support smaller events with PR/publicity efforts as needed
- Support community events including school appearances
- Develop/implement strategies to keep both speedways relevant during non-event times
- Corporate sales support - attend corporate sales meetings to support corporate partner activation and new business acquisition
- Three-to-five years of experience generating content and/or publicity in media relations, communications, public relations or media fields;
- Demonstrate experience in designing and implementing successful PR campaigns
- Strong leadership skills
- Excellent verbal / written / content communications skills
- Strong analytics and project management skills
- Strategic mindset
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Creative Suite and AP Style
- Diversity in various mediums including video, photo, social engagement, web, etc.
- Ability to work nights, weekends
- Position will require travel between LVMS and SR with additional select assignments through the Speedway Motorsports workshare program to support other facilities
All candidates must submit the following to be considered for the position:
- Cover letter
- (3) Professional References
- Publicity or Media Content Portfolio