Job Title: Promotions/Mascot Intern
Position Type: Part Time: January 1, 2019 – August 12, 2020
Work Schedule: Mostly nights and weekends, flexible availability is a must
Department: Marketing and Communications Department
Reports To: Karlie Newman, Marketing Coordinator
The Marketing and Communications Department is responsible for the advertising, media relations, public relations, promotions (paid and earned), consumer marketing, community relations, and guest communication distribution for Michigan International Speedway. The MIS Promotions and Mascot Intern is responsible for assisting the Marketing department with varied activities and events that promote Michigan International Speedway. Activities include mascot performances at short track races, festivals, children’s expos, partner events, hockey tournament, race weekend, and a variety of other appearances. Assists the Promotions Team when necessary.
- Must be available to work nights, weekends, MIS Backyard Hockey Tournament, and both race weekends
- Previous mascot experience is a plus, but not required
- Outgoing, comfortable with speaking to the public, fan friendly
- Punctual, reliable, well-organized, flexible
- Must be willing and able to work in a costume
- Physical ability to stand for multiple hours and lift or move 50 lbs.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
- Learns and performs the character of Brooks the Bear
- Assists in the development and execution of race weekend skits, promotions, videos and photography, costume handling and maintenance, and other responsibilities
- Maintains character at all times when interacting with the public
- Assists the MIS Promotions Team when needed
- Executes offsite promotions from start to finish which includes transporting materials, set-up, interaction with guests, creating awareness of MIS, data collection, tear-down, mascot, etc.
- Act as MIS brand ambassador at outside events and build positive relationships with surrounding community members
- Must pass company driver’s screening to be able to drive company vehicles.
- Valid driver’s license
- Proof of insurability
- 1+ years’ experience customer service
- High school diploma; some college a plus (emphasis in Communications, Advertising, Sports Management, Sales, or Marketing)
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.