President of Business Operations, Dubuque Fighting Saints
The Dubuque Fighting Saints are a member of the United States Hockey League, the only Tier 1 junior hockey league in America and are considered one of the preeminent junior hockey organizations in North America. Since bringing the USHL back to Dubuque in 2010, the Fighting Saints have been consistently considered an elite team in the League having won two (2) Clark Cup Championships, competed internationally and have qualified for the playoffs each year since re-entering the League. Over 30 Saints alumni have been drafted by NHL Clubs and over 150 players have received Division I NCAA commitments.
Northern Lights Hockey, LLC is the entity that owns the Fighting Saints. The owners of Northern Lights Hockey, LLC collectively provide an extensive background in business and hockey and represent interests on both a national and local level. The ownership group includes Saints alumni and current NHL players Johnny Gaudreau and Zemgus Girgensons, 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Head Coach Dan Bylsma, former Edmonton Oilers President of Hockey Operations Peter Chiarelli and longtime NHL Executive Peter Luukko.
The President of Business Operations, will report directly to the Managing Partner and serve as the day to day business leader and “face of the organization” in the community on a daily basis. This person will be responsible for overseeing all aspects of the business operation of the Dubuque Fighting Saints. This person will lead and manage the entire business staff and have primary responsibility for the top and bottom line performance of the organization. The President of Business Operations must possess extensive knowledge and experience in a wide variety of aspects of running a business, preferably with one (1) or more sports franchises. This person must have the ability to develop and execute a strategic vision for the organization as well as be an excellent leader with the ability to coach and develop the skills and capabilities of their team.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Develop and implement measurable sales and marketing strategies that will grow the fan base, corporate support and increase awareness in the market.
- Manage entire business staff including but not limited to the Vice President of Corporate Partnerships, Director of Ticket Sales, Manager of Public Relations, Manager of Marketing and Controller.
- Develop a marketing plan that reaches target segments quickly, efficiently and effectively utilizing modern sales and marketing techniques for consumer and business to business marketing.
- Develop and execute an effective sales strategy that delivers consistent growth each year in all areas including ticket sales, premium seating and corporate partnerships.
- Develop overall ticket sales and service strategies to ensure a strong and growing season ticket base, increased group sales and individual game ticket sales
- Develop and implement sales & marketing performance metrics to measure overall effectiveness of all aspects of the operation.
- Develop effective database building strategies and programs which result in positive ROI and reduction of cost-of-sale.
- Maximize overall revenue potential by developing initiatives to create new revenue opportunities focused on increasing attendance, sponsorship opportunities and digital and social media initiatives
- Drive daily execution of the company’s overall business strategy through effective day to day management for ticket sales, premium seating and corporate partnership departments.
- Oversee the relationship with the arena management and concessions operator and work closely with them to enhance the customer experience and grow revenue.
- Continue to enhance the Fighting Saints brand locally, nationally and internationally. Ensure that it is strong and consistent in every instance and seen as leader in junior hockey – both on and off the ice.
- Develop an implement digital and social media strategies, advance all platforms including the website, social media channels, texting initiatives, mobile ticketing platform and stay current on emerging new media and digital technology and best practices.
- Oversee development, planning and implementation of all game and event presentation elements.
- Create high performance culture throughout the business operation which includes accountability, reporting and high levels of professionalism while driving business success.
- Pinpoint performance gaps, addressing them with a sense of urgency and elevating serious issues to the Managing Partner when appropriate.
- Conducts regular meetings with all direct reports and other staff members to maintain clear communication, performance expectations and collaboration.
- Cultivate confidence in employees and inspire them to be passionate about customer satisfaction and continuous improvement in all aspects of the business.
- Prepare weekly ticket and corporate partnership sales reports to serve as teaching and motivation tools and for reporting to shareholders.
- Manage relationships with outside vendors including but not limited to, third party agencies, ticketing company and all media partners.
- Oversee all game day operations and event staff.
- Create profitable licensing, merchandising and retail programs.
- Work closely with hockey staff to coordinate all marketing activities involving the team and players and all game day operations.
- Create and execute effective community outreach programs and grass roots marketing
- Analyze potential business initiatives and acquisitions and implement strategy.
- Serve as the primary liaison and representative for ownership group with the USHL office, City of Dubuque officials, Dubuque Youth Hockey and the Mystique Community Ice Center.
- Represent the Fighting Saints at all USHL events, marketing meetings and other key initiatives
- Report results on regular basis according to standards and metrics set out by Managing Partner
- Manage the operational budget efficiently and enhance profitability
Required Knowledge / Skills / Job Qualifications
- Strong knowledge of sales & marketing principles
- A solid understanding of traditional and innovative sales and marketing strategies and a proven track record of creating campaigns and initiatives that grow revenue
- Recognized as an excellent manager and coach who develops their team and delivers consistently strong performance from those under his/her supervision
- Leadership experience in the community serving on boards, committees and /or special projects
- Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills
- Ability to network and leverage contacts effectively
- Strong organizational skills, project management skills and planning abilities
- Ability to create, read, analyze and interpret financial documents including financial reports, spreadsheets, charts and graphs
- Minimum of 5 years of business management experience, preferably in the sports and /or entertainment industry
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Sales, Business, Sports Management or related field
Competitive salary, benefits and incentive / bonus plan
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.