The Utica Comets along with Utica City FC are offering an opportunity to undergraduate and secondary college level students looking to gain real world communications experience and position themselves for a career in the Sports Industry upon graduation. The internship begins in mid-September and lasts until the conclusion of the 2019-20 season. The ideal candidate would be available to work between 10-15 hours a week during regular office hours. The intern would be required to attend games.
The Communications Intern will be responsible for a number of key functions of the Comets and Utica City FC day-to-day operations in the communications, public relations, and media relations department. This position is an unpaid internship.
VP of Communications
• Assist the VP of Communications and Communications staff in all day-to-day aspects of the job
• Assist in webpage and social media maintenance
• Organize and assist with accreditation and pre-game meals for media, scouts and other game day VIPs
• Write feature articles to be published on the Comets and Utica City FC websites
• Compile game notes, bios and statistical packages for media, scouts and team executives
• Coordinate media interactions with team members including setting up our live post-game press conference with media members, players and coaching staff which follows each home game
• Other projects and tasks as assigned
• Familiarity, interest, and excellent knowledge of hockey and/or soccer.
• Familiarity with webpage maintenance
• Excellent communication skills - grammar, spelling, proofreading, and writing abilities
• Positive attitude and excellent interpersonal skills
• Ability to manage multiple projects efficiently, and to meet strict deadlines
• A self-starter who is a good problem solver, very organized, with strong attention to detail
• Proficiency in Excel, Word, Outlook
• Flexibility in terms of handling a variety of assignments under tight deadlines while maintaining a strong focus on branding, consistency and quality
• Highly organized, motivated and responsible with good time and project management abilities
• A team player with excellent interpersonal skills and a strong customer service orientation
• Ability to work flexible schedules including nights, weekends, and holidays
• Cheerful, embraces fun and celebration in the workplace
• Passion for and knowledge of the game of hockey is considered an asset
• High degree of personal integrity and honest
• Self-starter who takes initiative
• Works with enthusiasm, dedication, respect and pride
• Receptive to new ideas and approaches, adapts well to change
• Strong attention to detail and organizational skills.
• Ability to adapt to creative suggestion and work within client specifications
• Strong ability to adapt to changes, work effectively under pressure and produce accurate results in a fast paced environment