TITLE: Manager, Sales & Service
POSITION TYPE: Full Time, Exempt
COMPANY: Sharks Sports & Entertainment
LOCATION: San Jose, California
REPORTS TO: VP, Barracuda Business Operations
POSTING DATED: November 23, 2022
Born in 1991, Sharks Sports and Entertainment (“SSE”) has grown into a multi-faceted organization that includes the NHL’s San Jose Sharks, the AHL’s San Jose Barracuda, SAP Center, Tech CU Arena, three Sharks Ice facilities, and the non-profit Sharks Foundation. We are continually growing our organization through expansion in the Bay Area and surrounding communities in Northern California.
We work and play in the Bay Area, and are deeply influenced by the technology, innovation, diversity, and commitment to excellence that surrounds us. Our culture is transforming to reflect those values, with an eye towards a pioneering, forward-thinking, and inclusive environment in sports and entertainment.
We live, work, and innovate by a set of Pioneering Principles:
T – Team success is more important than individual success
E – Exceptional experience is non-negotiable in everything we do
A – Appreciate others for their diversity and opinions
M – More risk leads to more rewards and expands our comfort zones
T – Trust that all teammates have the best intentions
E – Empower all teammates to make informed decisions
A – Always say what you really mean and do what you say
L – Lead by showing the respect to others you expect from them
We strive to unite people through a shared love of ice sports, entertainment, and our hometown. We are #TealTogether; we are Team Teal.
Team Teal is seeking to hire a manager to oversee Ticketing and Suites for the San Jose Barracuda, AHL affiliate of the Sharks. The Manager will be responsible for revenue generation via season tickets, partial plans, group outings and suites, while providing leadership for the department. The Manager will a critical part of the dedicated Barracuda team, assisting in implementing strategy and developing talent to reach revenue goals.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Cultivate and maintain a sales culture that maximizes generating revenue, professionalism, and an enjoyable working environment.
- Develop and implement sales strategies, procedures, and processes for staff.
- Lead or assist with the creation, planning, communication, and implementation of all sales and renewal campaigns, special projects, events and programs.
- Create innovative incentives as a part of the overall leadership of the sales team.
- Oversee execution of the client benefits and services to optimize client experience and maximize sales profitability.
- Support staff with outside appointments, meetings, conference calls, and games.
- Work with the Business Intelligence department to monitor CRM usage, delegate existing leads and identify and research new leads.
- Establish and communicate clear revenue goals to staff.
- Analyze team performance and subsequently provide team with appropriate feedback and direction for development.
- Create a schedule to meet with Account Executives regularly to provide feedback, coaching, and mentoring.
- Use independent discretion to analyze performance, create performance improvement plans, and/or discipline direct reports.
- Work with the payroll department to finalize time cards, manage overtime hours, and ensure compliance with all Company policies regarding meal and rest breaks, etc.
- Exceed individual sales and renewal targets as assigned.
- Manufacture, build, and maintain client relationships that will increase client satisfaction and retention.
- Participate and collaborate as a team member through meetings and informal support to other team members and SSE staff, to maximize customer service, retention efforts, and sales performance.
- Interact with other Sharks/Arena departments to provide a collaborative, client-oriented focus for all operations (for example, the Ticket Office).
- Perform Game/Event requirements as assigned.
- Perform other tasks and projects as requested.
- Ability to use independent judgment and discretion to make and implement decisions after evaluating various courses of action.
- Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university or comparable experience; at least 1 year of experience in sales and customer service roles
- 3+ years of successful sales and/or service experience with a team or entertainment environment required.
- 1-2 years of supervisory experience preferred; including proven hiring, training, coaching, and leadership skills.
- Experience in managing revenue and expense budgets preferred.
- Superior Customer Service skills.
- Positive and enthusiastic approach to customers and ability to respond to client’s needs in a timely manner.
- Master collaborator with excellent communication skills both written and verbal, detail oriented, strong problem solving and decision-making abilities.
- Proficient in Outlook, Word and Excel. Experience with Archtics ticketing system a plus.
- Excellent interpersonal skills: ability to maintain smooth working relationships.
- Night and weekend work required including working events.
- It is imperative that you can work independently without supervision, be self-directed and demonstrate initiative
- Ability to sit, stand and utilize a computer for extended periods of time.
- Communicate via phone and email with a variety of individuals.
- Ability to bend at the waist, reach overhead and lift up to 15 lbs.
- Physically navigate stairs and catwalks at SSE facilities during normal work hours and events.
At this time, all SSE employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to working onsite at any SSE facility, unless the individual is able to telework or is otherwise eligible for an exemption in accordance with applicable law. If on-site services are to be performed, SSE will require you to certify your vaccination status as part of the onboarding process.
What We Offer
- Competitive compensation (base salary and variable incentive plan)
- Medical/Dental/Vision/Flexible Spending Accounts (all LGBTQ+ friendly)
- Pretax Transportation Benefit
- 401K (pre-tax and Roth options)
- Minimum of 10 Paid Holidays and Wellness Days per year
- Complimentary or discounted sports and concert tickets
- Other League & partner discounts
- Central office location in downtown San Jose at the heart of Silicon Valley; convenient access to Caltrain, VTA, major freeways and free parking
- An inclusive culture which values diversity of background and a passion to improve our SSE’s commitment to change with impact on our community and industry
- Potential for flexible scheduling and telework opportunities
This position is not eligible for U.S. work authorization sponsorship.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Inclusion & Belonging
Here at Team Teal, we recognize and celebrate that individuals come with a wealth of experience and talent well beyond any list of required skills and qualifications – in fact, we believe diversity of backgrounds and skills, combined with passion, are the most important keys to meaningful innovation and excellence. Therefore, we encourage people from all backgrounds to apply to our positions. Please let us know if you require accommodations during the interview process.
Sharks Sports and Entertainment is an equal opportunity employer. We accept our responsibility to make employment decisions without regard to race, religious creed, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, marital status, medical condition as defined by state law (genetic characteristics or cancer), physical or mental disability, military service or veterans’ status, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions, genetic information, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, and local laws and ordinances.
Notice to Recruiters and Agencies
SSE recruits candidates directly, rather than through third-party recruiters or agencies. Under no circumstances will SSE pay a fee for candidates submitted or presented without a signed recruiting agreement in place between SSE and the recruiter or agency prior to the submittal; any submittal must be for requisition specifically and individually assigned in writing by SSE’s HR department. In the case of candidate(s) submitted or presented to SSE by a recruiter or agency without a signed agreement AND written assignment by SSE Human Resources, SSE explicitly reserves the right to pursue and hire those candidate(s) with no financial obligation to the recruiter or agency.