*In order to be considered for this role, after clicking "apply now" above and being redirected, you must fully complete the application process on the follow-up screen. *
The Legal Counsel for Senators Sports & Entertainment (“SSE”) provides legal expertise to assure that all companies operate in a legally effective and efficient manner, focusing on practical solutions to business issues. Reports to: Chief Financial Officer
- Provides legal counsel to all levels in the organization(s) on issues affecting the business including advising of legal risks associated with contracts and obligations, both before and after the company becomes a party to an agreement or is otherwise legally bound.
- Protects the interests of the organization(s) and anticipates potential legal issues arising from outside forces by maintaining proficiency in and knowledge of the latest developments in areas of law relevant to the business of SSE
- Advises as to compliance with applicable laws and regulations and identifying emerging issues
- Supervises and instructs external legal counsel retained by SSE
- Monitors billing of external legal counsel
- Performs general corporate legal work including corporate governance
- Works collaboratively with and serves as advisor and counselor to department heads
- Provides in-depth legal knowledge and expertise in areas such as drafting and negotiating commercial contracts, customer agreements, leases, trademarks, marketing, advertising, broadcast, sponsorships, licensing and purchase agreements for all companies
- Oversees language of legal documents pertaining to player/staff contracts, affiliation agreements, RCA Trust Agreements, and potential arbitration briefs
- Provides legal advice for player-related grievances and workers’ compensation claims
- Minimum of 5 years’ prior General Counsel or law firm experience
- Member in good standing with the Law Society of Upper Canada
- Able to work under pressure, handle a heavy workload, and meet tight deadlines
- Proficient research, organizational and legal analytical skills
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills, with the proven ability to simplify complex legal concepts in a clear and concise manner for ease of business comprehension
- Sports and / or entertainment industry experienced is considered an asset
- Bilingual (English & French) is considered an asset
- Able to work independently
- Highly motivated
- Team player
Senators Sports & Entertainment supports the goals of Ontario Regulation 191/11 - Integrated Accessibility Standards and is pleased to accommodate applicants who have a disability during the recruitment process. Please inform the Human Resources Department at 613-599-0250 if you require a disability related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process.
SSE is committed to building an inclusive process that respects the dignity and independence of people with disabilities.