Who We Are:
On a mission to lead from the front- setting a new standard for the development and preparation of elite players- the Pittsburgh Penguins Integrated Performance Team (IPT) is committed to an interdisciplinary high-performance approach that integrates innovation, research and development, learning, mentorship and application across all areas of player care. Equally important, we are committed to a culture of excellence and a culture of learning. As a Penguin, you will be empowered to realize your greatest potential.
The Performance Coach/Sport Scientist (AHL) will bring a progressive mindset, a deep knowledge of athlete development and preparation, and a diverse skillset as a coach/sport scientist. They will demonstrate impact as a practitioner developing and implementing individualized programming, and managing the integration of key technologies on and off the ice. In collaboration with other members of the IPT, they will play an important role assessing, profiling, programming, and monitoring performance needs. Built to thrive in a high-performance environment, they are current in their knowledge of research, best practices and application strategies, and exceptional in their communication and inter-personal skills.
What You Will Do:
- Contribute to the achievement of strategic aims and objectives for the team and the organization
- Lead the delivery of strength & conditioning and sport science programming for the AHL affiliate in Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, and assist with the same areas during the off-season for the NHL Penguins
- Work collaboratively to assess, profile, monitor and manage athlete needs, and develop and implement individualized training strategies accordingly
- Develop and implement educational initiatives for coaches and players
- Support the development and implementation of performance nutrition protocols and programming
- Support the implementation of criteria-based reconditioning programming in collaboration with other members of the team
- Assist with the management and organization of supplies and equipment
- Participate in IPT learning and continuing education programming
- Assist with special projects, as needed
Who You Are:
- You hold an advanced degree in exercise physiology, biomechanics, kinesiology, or physical therapy
- You hold CSCS certification and appropriate State licensure, where appropriate
- You have 3-5 years of full-time experience working in a variety of elite sport environments
- You have demonstrated impact delivering programming in elite sport environments
- You have an understanding of the physiological, technical, cultural and psychological demands of the sport of ice hockey
- You are experienced in the collection and management of data streams from key technologies (Force Decks, Kinexon, First Beat, etc.) to support player health and performance
- You are proficient executing movement screening, testing, profiling and monitoring processes, and producing progress reports to share with key stakeholders
- You are competent with athlete management systems, and data analysis and visualization tools
- You are competent with the Microsoft Office suite of programs, Keynote & Pages
- You hold current CPR, First Aid & AED certifications
What You Embody:
Teamwork- You impact the success of the team through impressive organization skills, attention to detail, sense of urgency, adaptability, proactive and transparent communication, and a focus on our key performance indicators.
Integrity- You demonstrate extreme ownership & radical honesty.
Growth & Innovation- You are constantly curious, always seeking opportunities for connection, collaboration, growth and impact.
We believe that a diverse team is vital to building the NHL’s best organization. Thus, we strongly encourage you to apply if you identify with any marginalize community across race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, veteran status, or disability.
- The position requires unconventional hours and regular travel both in and out of season, and frequent work outside of normal business hours to ensure all deadlines and responsibilities are met
- Eligibility to work legally in the United States must be maintained
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital or veteran status, or any other protected class.