Founded in 1917, the National Hockey League (NHL®) is the premier professional ice hockey league in the world, and is one of the major professional sports leagues in the United States and Canada. With more than 600 employees across offices in New York, Toronto and Montreal, the NHL is a global sports and entertainment organization committed to building healthy and vibrant communities using the sport of hockey to celebrate fans of every race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, and socio-economic status. At the NHL, we are looking for dynamic, energetic and impactful individuals who are committed to doing the same by sharing in our philosophy that Hockey is for Everyone – and inclusion belongs on the ice, in the locker rooms, boardrooms and stands.
Benefits to working at National Hockey League include:
- Medical/ Dental/ Vision insurance effective on the date of hire
- 401(K) Plan and Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Annual Bonus
- Generous PTO policy
- Commuter Benefit Program
- Paid Company Holidays
The National Hockey League (head office in NYC) is looking for a Senior Software Engineer to play a key role in designing and building various internet/intranet digital properties.
- Design and develop internet/intranet applications for various league initiatives.
- Engage with team members and participate in discussions for new functionality/feature development, ensuring a positive user experience, robust yet resilient functionality and long term supportability.
- Work with cross functional teams such as engineering and product management to provide feedback and support the evolution of the product.
- Triage bugs and troubleshoot production issues.
- Produce well-tested, high-quality backend code.
- Solid understanding of core programming concepts. OOP. Design patterns.
- Solid understanding of JAX-RS, ORM (specifically Cayenne is a plus), RDBMS, SQL (specifically MySQL is a minor plus).
- Familiarity with any/all of Bootique, LinkMove, AgRest is a plus.
- Experience with build tools like Maven very desirable.
- Functional fluency with Git is a must.
- Experience with (or eager desire to learn) CI tools is a must. Experience specifically with Gitlab is a plus.
- Experience in Shell scripting, Python is a plus. Specifically under Unix/Linux is a plus.
- Basic familiarity with UI technologies
- Experience with CSS and HTML5, responsive design desirable.
- Working understanding and some experience with (or at least an eager desire to learn quickly) container technologies (docker) and orchestration (kubernetes).
- Any knowledge of AWS services (such as S3) is a plus.
- Strong analytical skills, ability to understand business needs and help translate them into functional requirements.
- Experience with Waterfall and Agile project management methodologies.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Must be a self-starter and adaptable to changes in priorities
- Strong problem-solving skills.
- Bachelor's degree in Information Technology, CS, or related field.
- Or equivalent demonstrable experience in the industry.
- 5+ years of Java programming experience.
- 7+ years of total programming experience.
- Ability to work in a Unix environment comfortably
Salary Range for this role is $140K to $180
When applying, please be sure to include a cover letter with your salary expectations for this role. We thank all applicants for their interest in this opportunity, however only qualified candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. NO EMAILS OR PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital or veteran status, or any other protected class.