VP, Legal - Technology & Data - National Hockey League (NHL) (New York · NY)
Founded in 1917, the National Hockey League (NHL®) is the premier professional ice hockey league in the world, and is one of the major professional sports leagues in the United States and Canada. With more than 600 employees across offices in New York, Toronto and Montreal, the NHL is a global sports and entertainment organization committed to building healthy and vibrant communities using the sport of hockey to celebrate fans of every race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, and socio-economic status. At the NHL, we are looking for dynamic, energetic and impactful individuals who are committed to doing the same by sharing in our philosophy that Hockey is for Everyone – and inclusion belongs on the ice, in the locker rooms, boardrooms and stands.
The National Hockey League seeks an experienced technology-focused attorney to provide legal support and oversight on technology- and data-related transactions and matters, including with respect to the use of new and emerging technologies, data governance, privacy and cybersecurity.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Participate as a senior member of the League's in-house legal team primarily focusing on technology- and data-related transactions and matters, including:
- Working closely with senior businesspeople, other in-house lawyers and outside counsel strategizing, structuring, drafting, negotiating and providing general legal advice on technology relationships, products, services and other matters, including for example:
- AI, machine learning and biometrics;
- Data privacy matters, including maintaining privacy programs and compliance with US, Canadian and foreign privacy and data protection laws, regulations and frameworks;
- Data access, sharing, management, governance and protection;
- Cybersecurity matters, including policies and procedures, incident response plans, and applicable laws, regulations and frameworks;
- Responsibility for planning and day-to-day management of transactional processes; and
- Performing other duties and responsibilities as assigned
Serve as key subject matter expert with respect to technology- and data-related matters, including by proactively staying up to date with new and emerging technologies and the changes and developments in laws, regulations, standards and guidance related to the use of technology and data, and as needed and described in part above, help establish appropriate policies, procedures and practices associated with the League’s adoption and use of technologies and data.
- At least 6 years of transactional experience focused on technology- and/or data-related matters, with extensive knowledge and experience analyzing and applying applicable laws, regulations and industry best practices related to technology, data, cybersecurity and privacy
- Law firm experience preferred
- Demonstrated superior drafting, negotiating, communication (written and oral), interpersonal, and problem-solving skills
- Ability to exercise good judgment in identifying complex legal issues and evaluating and balancing legal risks with other relevant factors
- Ability to effectively prioritize and manage multiple assignments and deadlines
- A positive, team-oriented and collaborative attitude
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
JD from an accredited law school. Admission (or ability to be admitted) to New York Bar required.
This position will be based in our New York City Office. Are you willing and able to commute to our office for this position?
If you are not currently living in the tri-state area, are you willing and able to relocate at your own expense for this position?
Do you have the legal right to work in the United States?
Will you now or in the future require visa sponsorship to continue work in the United States?
What are your salary expectations for this role? (NOTE: We are NOT asking for your current salary or salary history)
How did you hear about this position? Where did you first see this role posted?
Please provide a brief statement describing your interest in working for the NHL’s Legal Department.
Does your legal experience include six or more years of transactional experience focused in technology and/or data related matters? Please describe your technology/data-focused transactional experience in terms of years, responsibilities, growth and nature (e.g., type(s) of transactions).
How would you sum up your strongest qualification for this position in one sentence?
Are you admitted as a lawyer in good standing in New York or are you capable of being admitted as one?