Founded in 1917, the National Hockey League (NHL®) is the premier professional ice hockey league in the world, and is one of the major professional sports leagues in the United States and Canada. With more than 600 employees across offices in New York, Toronto and Montreal, the NHL is a global sports and entertainment organization committed to building healthy and vibrant communities using the sport of hockey to celebrate fans of every race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, and socio-economic status. At the NHL, we are looking for dynamic, energetic and impactful individuals who are committed to doing the same by sharing in our philosophy that Hockey is for Everyone – and inclusion belongs on the ice, in the locker rooms, boardrooms and stands.
The NHL is the premier professional ice hockey league in the world, with 32 member Clubs vying for the most cherished and historic trophy in sports – the Stanley Cup®. For over 100 years the NHL has entertained fans with displays of skill, teamwork, heartache, and triumph.
The NHL’s Strategic Planning department develops and executes League strategies through rigorous research, planning and analysis. We are seeking a Senior Manager of Innovation to support the development and implementation of League strategies and technology-driven solutions with the primary goal of growing the game of hockey by:
- Enhancing the fan experience to drive increased engagement and attract new fans,
- Improving the game on the ice for coaches, players, and League officials,
- Generating incremental revenue for the League, Clubs, and Partners, and
- Increasing the overall value of the NHL and its member Clubs.
Examples of current League innovation initiatives include: blockchain and NFTs, metaverse and emerging content distribution platforms, fantasy sports and gambling, augmented and virtual reality, second screen applications, data & analytics, artificial intelligence & machine learning, virtual advertising, etc.
The ideal candidate will be a strategic thinker with excellent problem solving and communication skills, and a passion for sports, technology, and innovation.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Strategy and Innovation Initiatives
- Facilitate the establishment and/or advancement of innovation initiatives for new and existing League business
- Coordinate “Innovation” opportunity identification and prioritization across League Departments and Clubs
- Coordinate internal and external logistics for pilot projects and technology showcases to test and demonstrate new technological applications in appropriate NHL environments
Business Planning & Analysis
- Assist in the development of long-term League strategies, with a focus on how innovation can help grow the game of hockey and drive incremental revenue for the League and Clubs
- Provide research and financial modeling necessary to support diligence and planning for medium & long-term innovation opportunities
- Document and communicate strategic priorities and innovation initiatives through presentations, written memos and other media
- Understand and monitor emerging trends and new technologies impacting the sports and entertainment industry with the potential to grow the game of hockey
- Develop and maintain a network of professionals across the sports tech ecosystem with insight into promising start-ups and emerging trends
- Analyze market value and growth potential of emerging technologies through primary and secondary market research, quantitative analysis, and knowledge of marketplace dynamics
- Bachelor’s degree in business, economics, statistics, mathematics, or engineering from an accredited 4-year college or university. MBA or other advanced degree preferred but not required
- 3-5 years of strategic/management consulting, investment banking, venture capital or private equity analyst experience; or experience within internal strategy team in related field (Media, Sports, etc.)
- Experience building financial models including P&L forecasts, corporate valuations, market sizing and growth, and scenario analysis
- Excellent written communication skills, with ability to synthesize analyses into executive-level memos
- Strong interpersonal, verbal and presentation skills, with ability to explain and present complex topics to a variety of audiences
- Outstanding problem-solving skills and a solution-driven approach. Experience with strategy formulation, hypothesis testing, and quantitative modeling
- Proactive, self-starter who can work independently within a set of objectives
- Strong proficiency with Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint
Knowledge of Sports, Entertainment, Media and Technology industries preferred
When applying, please be sure to include a cover letter with your salary expectations for this role. We thank all applicants for their interest in this opportunity, however only qualified candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. NO EMAILS OR PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
Benefits to working at National Hockey League include:
- Medical/ Dental/ Vision insurance effective on the date of hire
- 401(K) Plan and Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Annual Bonus
- Generous PTO policy
- Commuter Benefit Program
- Corporate Wellness Programs
- Paid Company Holidays
- Salary range for this position is $100k - $120k
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital or veteran status, or any other protected class.