Founded in 1917, the National Hockey League (NHL®) is the premier professional ice hockey league in the world, and is one of the major professional sports leagues in the United States and Canada. With more than 600 employees across offices in New York, Toronto and Montreal, the NHL is a global sports and entertainment organization committed to building healthy and vibrant communities using the sport of hockey to celebrate fans of every race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, and socio-economic status. At the NHL, we are looking for dynamic, energetic and impactful individuals who are committed to doing the same by sharing in our philosophy that Hockey is for Everyone – and inclusion belongs on the ice, in the locker rooms, boardrooms and stands.
NHL Enterprises is seeking an Associate Counsel with experience in content clearance, music licensing, social media, personality rights and copyright matters.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
This role will provide legal support in connection with content clearance, music licensing, social media, personality rights and copyright matters, including:
- Providing legal review of short form and long form content for distribution on television and digital media (including social media), evaluating and advising on rights and clearance matters, and, when necessary, obtaining any necessary licenses, releases, or permits.
- Dfting and negotiating agreements for production companies, talent, and social media creators/influencers;
- Supporting music matters, including obtaining necessary licenses for live performances, NHL media platforms and NHL content from production music libraries and other rightsholders; and
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate will have:
- 2+ years of relevant legal experience in copyright, IP licensing and/or content clearance.
- Law firm experience preferred.
- Experience in the sports, music or entertainment industries a plus.
- Demonstrated superior drafting, communication (written and oral), analytical, problem-solving skills, and attention to detail.
- Strong ability to work independently, proactively prioritize tasks, and manage time effectively to meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- JD from an accredited law school; Admission (or ability to be admitted) to New York Bar required.
When applying, please be sure to include a cover letter with your salary expectations for this role. We thank all applicants for their interest in this opportunity, however only qualified candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. NO EMAILS OR PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
Benefits to working at National Hockey League include:
- Medical/ Dental/ Vision insurance effective on the date of hire
- 401(K) Plan and Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Annual Bonus
- Generous PTO policy
- Commuter Benefit Program
- Paid Company Holidays
- Salary range for this position is $150k - $175k
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital or veteran status, or any other protected class.