Job Title: Part Time Public Safety \Officer – Ford Ice
Department: Public Safety
Job Reports to: Public Safety Coordinator, Ford Ice Center
Brief Overview of Position:
A Part Time Public Safety Officer will be responsible for securing the building and equipment of the Ford Ice Center and enforcing access and rink policies throughout the facility. Officer will maintain order during public access times. Officer will conduct patrols of the facility, outside perimeter and parking lot. Will monitor activities of guests and staff to ensure a safe environment for all.
Areas of Responsibility/Job Duties:
- Patrol premises and circulate among visitors, guests and employees to preserve order and protect property.
- Monitor and authorize arrival and departure of visitors.
- Monitor locker rooms during public access times to ensure safety of patrons, guests and players.
- Escort individuals to specified locations and provide personal protection.
- Use walkie-talkies and cell phones to stay in contact with rink personnel.
- Inspect and adjust security systems, equipment, and machinery to ensure operational use and to detect evidence tampering.
- Write clear and concise reports of daily activities and irregularities, such as equipment or property damage, theft, presence of unauthorized persons or unusual occurrences, incidents or medical emergencies and immediately report these occurrences to both General Manager and the Public Safety Coordinator.
- Educate Ford Ice Center staff on proper incident response, including reporting procedures, notification of authorities, etc.
- Call police or fire department in case of emergency.
- Provide friendly customer service.
- Be alert during duty period and perform security related functions.
- Respond to calls and incidents at Ford Ice Center.
- Correctly interpret and follow written technical instructions.
- Verbally answer questions from staff and the public.
- Manage lost and found items; if necessary, report stolen items to General Manager and/or file police report.
- Monitor front and back parking lots as well as the service yard.
- Develop a working relationship with campus security and Metro Park Police.
- Act as liaison between Ford Ice Center and Metro Police.
- Serve as Head Supervisor when on duty. Help the front of house and back of house staff as needed.
- Complete closing tasks list to ensure that the building is closed properly each night.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Public Safety Coordinator and General Manager.
- 18 Years Old.
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Good judgment.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality in all matters pertaining to security/personnel.
- Strong problem solving, interpersonal, conflict resolution and communication skills.
- Friendly, outgoing personality with a desire to serve the company and public.
- Available to work a variety of shifts, including evenings, weekends and some holidays.
- Experience working with the public: this includes customer service experience.
- Basic computer skills.
- Must possess valid driver’s license and have reliable transportation.
- As a condition of employment, qualified applicant will be subject to an extensive and thorough background investigation, including a criminal history check, previous employment verification and character references.
Physical Requirements and Work Conditions:
- Physical activities require considerable use of arms and legs and moving whole body, including sitting, walking, standing, bending, squatting, climbing stairs, kneeling, twisting, lifting, grasping, balancing, and handling of materials.
- Ability to see details at a close range (within a few feet of the observer) and at a distance.
- Ability to detect or tell the differences between sounds and that vary in pitch and loudness and to focus on a single source of sound in the presence of distracting sounds.
- Ability to speak and communicate clearly with others.
- Must be able to stand or walk for long periods of time and climb stairs.
- Must be willing to work in adverse conditions including cold temperatures inside and out and warm conditions outside of the facility.
- Lifting requirements – must be able to lift a minimum of 50 lbs.
- Wearing face mask and/or Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) for long periods of time.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.