Sports Jobs in Nashville, TN
Facility Operations/Event Staff: Conversion Crew
Job Title: Manager, Overnight Conversion
Department: Facility Operations
Job Reports To: Director, Event Operations
- Manage and direct all overnight facility operations for Bridgestone Arena; including but not limited to event conversions, set ups, maintenance and facility cleaning.
- Supervise large groups and multiple departments. The Manager, Overnight Conversion will be responsible for managing the work of the night shift employees in the operations department at Bridgestone Arena.
- Determine work techniques and planning operations work for the night shift using mechanical skills, deficiency prevention, trouble shooting, problem solving, etc.
- Motivate staff and maintain a positive and productive work environment and ensure this intent is communicated and adhered to by all subordinates.
- Evaluate staff, including appraising productivity, working with employees to correct deficiencies, disciplining employees, making recommendations as to the interviewing, hiring, firing and advancement promotion or any other change of status of employee under the Manager, Overnight Conversion.
- Identify topics for and provide, develop and coordinate staff training.
- Direct and plan proper set up and maintenance of storage areas, tables, pipe and drape, skirting, seating, ice rink dashers and glass systems, retractable and fixed seating, subfloor, fold and roll staging, main staging, barricades, basketball floor.
- Identify, supervise and perform proper repairs, handling and installation of all equipment.
- Read set up diagrams for layout and installation of seating, staging, basketball flooring, transition flooring and ice floor cover and carpet.
- Plan and coordinate housekeeping in conjunction with event conversions to ensure the most effective use of time.
- Work closely with Public Safety Overnight Manager to ensure safety and emergency response plans are up to date and administered and that any work-related incidents are properly and timely documented and reported to Human Resources.
- Train, schedule, manage and apportion work among the operations conversion crew, as well as any temporary or sub contract labor needed for special assignments.
- Ensure that the facility event set-ups are completed accurately, safely and on schedule.
- Conduct daily building walk-through to ensure that all equipment is stowed safely and in the correct storage place.
- Maintain cleanliness of shop, marshalling and operations storage areas, as well as mechanical and equipment rooms.
- Determine work procedures and types of equipment or materials needed to preform work.
- Plan and prepare work schedules, expedite work flow, and examine work of employees for safety, completeness and quality.
- Monitor, document and report all occurrences during conversions, including but not limited to employee accidents or injuries, facility or equipment damage or misuse, and disciplinary problems with full time, part time, and/or temporary staff members or subcontractors.
- Attend operations department planning sessions to review staffing budgets, strategic planning and status of the overnight operation.
- Respond to, report and direct the investigation of visual and audible building alarms from building automation and life safety systems.
- Establish operational procedures such as equipment maintenance and repair, retractable seating and safety procedures.
- In conjunction with Facility Operations Manager and Human Resources, develop, implement and ensure standard operating and safety procedures are followed by all employees on the conversion crew.
- Periodically inspect and evaluate workplace environment, equipment and practices in order to ensure compliance with safety standards (fire, ADA, life safety, etc.), ensuring observations are reported to Human Resources and arena safety committee in a timely manner.
- Regularly review operations safety procedures and report items in need of updating to Human Resources and arena safety committee in a timely manner.
- Identify and resolve problems in a timely manner; gather and analyze information to develop alternative solutions; work well in group problem solving situations; use reason and good judgment when dealing with difficult or emotional situations.
- Ensure all department issues, observations and critical information are documented, verified, and accurately reported in a timely manner.
- Provide quality control oversight of all department equipment, uniforms and items necessary to perform duties and responsibilities.
- Provide for safety and security of the workplace by observing safety and security procedures, report potentially unsafe conditions; train subordinates on using equipment and materials appropriately.
- Work closely with Manager, Overnight Quality Control to maintain the security of the building.
- Ensure quality customer service to all Bridgestone Arena guests.
- Perform all other duties and responsibilities, as assigned by Director, Event Operations.
- Four (4) year degree from accredited college or university preferred.
- Three to five (3-5) years of management experience involving special event and public assembly facility personnel both full time and part time or equivalent experience.
- Must have good judgment and able to provide effective direction to staff in emergency response situations.
- Strong organizational & time management skills.
- Ability to read and write and to follow written and oral instructions and complete standardized checklist forms, including the ability to read set up diagrams for layout and installation of seating, staging, basketball flooring, transition flooring and ice floor cover and carpet.
- Ability to safely and efficiently operate hand and power tools.
- Five (5) years of experience safely operating forklift, Zamboni, scissor lifts, and boom lifts, preferred.
- Must be detail oriented & capable of managing multiple projects.
- Must be a self-starter and possess the ability to work independently.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office preferred.
- Work long, uncommon hours including nights, holidays and weekends.
- Must be a team player with a demonstrated ability to lead, train, coach and motivate a team of staff.
- Ability to resolve customer service and employee conflict management issues.
- Ability to read set up diagrams for layout and installation of seating, staging, football turf, basketball flooring, transition flooring, and ice floor cover and carpet.
- Safety trainings required: Forklift Certified Operator; Boomlift Operator; Ladder Safety
- As a condition of employment, qualified applicant will be subject to a background check, including driving history and character references.
- Possess a valid driver’s license, possess a suitable driving history and be insurable by Powers’ insurance carrier (without conditions).
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL FUNCTIONS:
- Ability to work in extreme temperature changes from ice arena to outdoors in inclement weather.
- Frequent lifting up to 50 lbs., occasional lifting up to 75 lbs.
- Ability to work long and/or irregular hours including nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Ability to respond to visual and audible alarms from building automation and life safety systems
- Knowledge of retractable seating, fixed seating, ice rink wall and glass systems maintenance and repair
- Capable of carrying and climbing portable and fixed ladders, accessing remote areas of the facility and working with hand and power tools, communicating via portable radio, reading and comprehending blueprints and drawings.
- Ability to walk and stand on concrete and uneven surfaces for at least 4 hours per day.
- Ability to bend, kneel and work with arms raised for prolonged periods of time.
- Ability to climb over and into heavy equipment several times per day.
- Occasional working at heights above 10 ft.
- Exposure to bright lights, extreme temperatures, loud noise, dust.
- Ability to pull/push equipment.
- Ability to stoop/crouch for a long period of time.
- Various power and hand tools (including but not limited to sockets, wrenches, hammers, drills, impact wrench, allen wrenches, and screwdrivers).
- Forklift, Zamboni, scissor lifts, boom lifts, floor scrubber, motor vehicle (company truck), and other light duty machinery.
- PC and other general office equipment.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Note: Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. Employee will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instruction or assignments.
How did you hear about this job?