Sports Jobs in Nashville · TN
Accounting and Finance: Controller/Director of Finance
Job Title: Controller
Department: Finance & Administration
Job Reports To: CFO
- Oversee the month end close process for Predators Holdings, Nashville Hockey Club (“Predators”), Powers Management, Bridgestone Arena, Mic Ice (“Ford Ice Centers”) (and other related entities, as requested), to include (but not limited to): journal entries, accruals, receivables, bank reconciliations, balance sheet reconciliations, box office reports.
- Analyze balance sheet detail and identify potential adjustments; perform monthly review of balance sheet with the staff and CFO.
- Supervise the employees in the Finance department.
- Address personnel issues including but not limited to direct report conflicts, absenteeism, and performance issues, working with Human Resources as appropriate.
- Work with each direct report to establish goals and objectives for each year and monitor and advise on the progress to enhance professional and personal development.
- Provide training to new and existing staff as needed.
- Prepare, analyze, and verify financial statements.
- Assist with detailed financial statement analyses on a monthly basis (or more frequently, if requested), inclusive of year-end projections.
- Oversee the accounting and related reconciliations for all revenue items for the Predators, including trades, corporate partnerships, hockey tickets, and premium seating.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with the sales and business strategies departments to understand sales goals and sales initiatives; ensure revenues are recorded in accordance with GAAP.
- Review and approve revenue reconciliations with internal tracking and management systems (for example, CRM and Archtics).
- Become the finance expert and liaison for the department regarding all ticketing inquiries and reconciliations.
- Develop an in depth understanding and become the overall expert on the arena operations.
- Assist in building and managing annual budget for the Predators and Powers Management for regular season, post-season and any special events.
- Manage the overall annual audit process of Predators Holdings.
- Review and approve purchase orders and invoices compared to the budget, including verification of proper approvals.
- Prepare NHL reporting, including HRR/URO reports.
- Assist with tax related reporting and returns performed internally and with outside tax firm, including business tax, franchise tax, sales tax, etc.
- Assist with maintenance of insurance coverages; manage renewals and premium payments.
- Support CFO and management with special projects and workflow process improvements. Serve as primary financial analyst for contracts and new business development.
- Develop, maintain, and improve accounting practices and procedures to ensure accurate and timely financial statements.
- Monitor and analyze department work to develop procedures/processes to increase efficiency and maximize resources while maintaining a high level of accuracy.
- Advise staff regarding the handling of non-routine reporting transactions.
- Respond to inquiries from the CFO and other management regarding financial results, special reporting requests, etc.
- Perform other duties as assigned by CFO.
- Bachelor’s and/or Master’s degree in accounting required; CPA strongly preferred.
- Must have at least seven (7) years of relevant experience.
- Prior management experience required, including demonstrated ability to effectively lead a team of accounting professionals.
- Public accounting experience preferred; ideal candidate also has experience working in professional sports and can demonstrate an understanding of the complexities surrounding accounting in the sports industry.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft programs (Excel, Word).
- Familiarity with Intacct accounting package preferred.
- Strong organizational and time management skills required.
- Excellent customer service, organization, and time management skills.
- Ability to work flexible hours required, including nights, weekends and holidays.
- As a condition of employment, qualified applicant will be subject to a background check, including a criminal history check, driving history and character references.
- Possess a valid driver’s license, possess a suitable driving history and be insurable by our insurance carrier (without conditions).
Essential Physical Functions:
- Physical activities include sitting, walking and standing for prolonged periods of time, as well as bending, squatting, climbing stairs, kneeling, twisting, lifting, grasping, balancing and handling of materials.
- Ability to speak and communicate clearly with others.
- Must be willing to work in cold temperatures.
- Lifting requirements – must be able to lift a minimum of 20 lbs.
- High finger dexterity.
- Excellent speaking and listening skills, requiring the perception of speech.
- Ability to wear face mask and/or Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) for long periods of time.
We are an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Note: Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. Employee will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instruction or assignments.