Job Title: VP, PR & Communications
Department: Brand & Marketing
Reporting: President & CEO
The VP, PR & Communications is responsible for the development and execution of brand publicity and communications strategies for the Arizona Coyotes about its lifestyle, streetwear, community, entertainment, technology, and innovation initiatives. This position will be responsible for effective communications between the Coyotes organization and the local and national non-sports media. It will require a highly motivated candidate with a results-driven work ethic and excellent written and verbal communication skills. The VP, PR & Communications reports to the President & CEO to maximize media coverage for the organization and to enhance the Club's reputation and image through the execution of the team's communications strategies.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Work with our Chief Brand Officer to develop and implement publicity and communications strategies and generate media coverage for the Club's Sports, brand, lifestyle, and entertainment initiatives, including brand events.
- PR & Communications for the Club's brand communications (Fashion & Culture, Sports, Community, Business, and Local), including merchandise, players/coaches, ownership, GM & CEO/President, and storytelling through earned media.
- Generate and pitch story ideas to local and national non-sports media outlets to raise awareness about the organization and promote and strengthen the Club's brand.
- Establish, cultivate, and maintain strong working relationships with local and national non-sports media, focusing on lifestyle, streetwear, entertainment, business, and community stories.
- Create press releases, media advisories, and press kit materials for off-ice announcements, including events, product drops, ticket sales, corporate partnerships, marketing, youth hockey, community relations and Arizona Coyotes Foundation events.
- Develop talking points for Club executives, players, and partners for interviews.
- Monitor the Club's media coverage (TV, print and website) to determine external perceptions of the organization and anticipate PR needs. This includes monthly media coverage reports.
- Handle the brand copywriting for the team, including but not limited to merchandise descriptions, website stories, app stories, brand emails, and select brand marketing copy.
- Create, distribute, and publicize team news/events to local newspapers, periodicals, television, radio, and other media.
- Oversee all day-to-day communications for the organization and responsible for promoting all aspects of the team.
- Serve as the lead point person on media interactions that help promote and/or impact the organization.
- Supervise and lead the team’s media relations and staff, including the Manager of Media Relations, Media Relations Coordinator, Director of Broadcasting and all broadcasters.
- Serve as the main liaison between the players/coaches and the front office for various media, promotional, community relations and sponsorship appearances.
- Serve as Executive Editor for all team press releases and publications, including the media guide, training camp guide, yearbook, game notes, game program and postseason guide.
- Oversee the day-to-day activities of the communications function including budgeting, planning and staff development.
- Responsible for organizing and leading all major team news conferences.
- Travel with the team on road trips and attend some practices and morning skates as well as all home games.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge/Skills/Job Qualifications:
Knowledge, Skill and Ability:
- Knowledge of the local Tempe, Phoenix, Scottsdale and surrounding market
- Established local media, influencer, community, and business contacts is required.
- Established national business and non-sports media contacts is required.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- Attention to detail with strong organizational and time management skills with the ability to prioritize projects and multi-task.
- Ability to work on tight deadlines as needed.
- Ability to work flexible hours including nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Proficient computer skills with the ability to use Microsoft Office, Outlook, Word, Excel, and Adobe InDesign.
Education and Formal Training:
- Bachelor's degree in journalism, communications, public relations, or a related field is required.
- PR experience working in the Tempe, Phoenix, and Scottsdale market.
- Experience in the lifestyle, streetwear, and fashion industries.
- Minimum 5-7 years of PR agency experience in communication, public relations, or media relations capacity is required.
Materials and Equipment Used:
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital or veteran status, or any other protected class.