Job Title: Director, Figure Skating
Department: Figure Skating
Reports To: Assistant General Manager of the Florida Panthers IceDen
Employment Type: Full-Time
Location: Florida Panthers IceDen
Last Updated: November 2020
The Figure Skating Directors objective is to forecast, plan, and manage all aspects of the Figure department. The goal is to produce a profitable figure skating program that organically grows athletes through proper progression and development, accomplished through proper staffing, coaching, programming (on/off ice) and complete customer satisfaction.
- Achieves financial objectives by preparing an annual operating budget; scheduling expenditures; reports, analyzing variances monthly and adjust programs as necessary
- Manage the Panthers Skating Academy (PSA) in all aspects of program development, scheduling, and execution of the program
- Manage and update all figure programs (schedule, new products, classes) in Dash POS Platform
- Manage instructors/guest instructors/ice monitors which includes proper recruiting, scheduling, lesson planning, coaches’ meetings, coaching compliance (SafeSport, background check, certifications), payroll and employee issues
- Host and run all major Professional Skaters Association (PSA) and United States Figure Skating Association (USFS) events that they allow throughout the season
- Oversee the Learn the Skate program
- Assist the hockey department with progression levels and advanced placement of the Learn to Play program
- Direct Camp Incredible for 10 weeks each summer, winter break and non-school days
- Oversee all major competitions each year: (South Florida Challenge, Excel Festival and Sun Shine State Games)
- Oversee the Holiday Show to include all planning, scheduling of rehearsal practices and execution of the show
- Be an active board member in the Panthers Figure Skating Club on events, test sessions, and competitions
- Create new programs to generate additional revenue opportunities
- Other duties as assigned
Learn to Skate:
- Analyze retention in LTS and freestyle numbers. Find trends in the numbers to adjust the programs to maximize profit
- Upload members into Learn to Skate USA system
- Enter data into LTS USA software to create class documents
- Organize instructor training sessions to make sure the coaches are up to date on the latest information coming from Learn to Skate USA
- Assist the AGM with scheduling freestyle sessions and on ice classes (edge, power, jump, and spin)
- Create monthly schedules for coaches and skating families
- Bachelor’s degree in sports management (or related field) desired with 5 years of experience in ice related sports and activities
- Ability to communicate effectively to employees, instructors, and customers
- Be on the ice during classes and assist in classes when necessary
- Talk with parents – constant communication, address concerns and questions and take time with a problem skater
- Keep coaches happy – coaches meetings, class rotation, private lesson referrals, and incentives
- Move skaters to appropriate classes & evaluate skaters frequently
- Be organized at all times
- Flexibility to work all Panthers IceDen events, and irregular hours (late nights, weekends, and holidays) as required
This position works in a professional ice hockey practice facility, where the noise level is generally high, crowd traffic is heavy, and temperatures are often cold; lights are bright or dark with occasional exposure to flashing lights.
Ice Skating - Must be physically able to skate for 60 minutes continuously multiple times a day, multiple hours in a row and able to work and train in cold on-ice conditions.
Walking – Moving about on foot to accomplish tasks, particularly for long distances or moving from one work site to another.
Lifting – Raising objects (up to 40 pounds) from a lower to a higher position or moving objects horizontally from position-to-position. This factor is important if it occurs to a considerable degree and requires substantial use of upper extremities and back muscles.
Talking - Expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word. Those activities in which they must convey detailed or important spoken instructions to other workers accurately, loudly, or quickly.
Standing - Particularly for sustained periods of time.
Hearing - Perceiving the nature of sounds at normal speaking levels with or without correction. Ability to receive detailed information through oral communication, and to make the discriminations in sound.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work:
This is a Full-Time position. Must be able to work a flexible schedule including late nights, weekends, and holidays as needed.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law.