SENIOR ANALYST, HOCKEY ANALYTICS
Department: Hockey Operations
Founded in 1926, the Chicago Blackhawks are one of the “Original Six” professional ice hockey teams in the National Hockey League (NHL) and six-time Stanley Cup Champions (1934, 1938, 1961, 2010, 2013, 2015). Members of the Central Division in the NHL’s Western Conference, the Blackhawks call the United Center home. The organization’s vision is to reimagine the potential of hockey with core values centered on integrity, curiosity, empathy, collaboration, and originality. Through these tenets, the greater Blackhawks family works every day to write the next chapter of an iconic franchise, aiming to serve as a world-class leader in professional sports, both on and off the ice. The organization is committed to executing a system of elite hockey, consistently and delivering new and legendary fan experiences. The organization has also made an unwavering commitment to its local community, including a significant expansion of the Chicago Blackhawks Foundation and the opening of Fifth Third Arena, which serves not only as the team’s official practice facility, but also as a state-of-the-art community space and hub for youth hockey development.
The Chicago Blackhawks are seeking a senior analyst to help lead their Hockey Analytics team. The role focuses on using the tools of data science to derive insights from hockey datasets to support player evaluation, player development, roster construction, in-game strategy, and more. The senior analyst will work collaboratively with members throughout Hockey Operations. Candidates should be passionate about both hockey and statistical analysis.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
- Support development of the Hockey Analytics function to enable efficient, timely, and actionable data-driven decisions that enhance current and future performance across Hockey Operations
- Build statistical models to evaluate specific aspects of player value and to answer other hockey research questions
- Cultivate strong relationships with stakeholders that fosters cross-functional collaboration and alignment across Hockey Operations
- Work collaboratively with stakeholders throughout Hockey Operations to formulate hypotheses, analyze data, and effectively deliver insights to optimize player evaluation, player acquisition, player development, roster construction, in-game strategy, and more
- Work collaboratively with the Hockey Systems team to build informative data visualizations, reports, and other end-use tools for use in automated reports or internal web applications
- Communicate findings through written reports, presentations, and informal conversations
- Develop new project ideas and assess their potential impacts, feasibility, and importance
- Maintain projects to run daily throughout the hockey season
- Mentor analysts and interns and provide feedback on their work
Qualifications & Requirements:
3-6 years of work experience in statistics, computer science, machine learning, mathematics or a related field
- Degree in computer science, statistics, mathematics, economics, finance, business analytics, or related field
- Experience analyzing datasets and training statistical models using R, Python, or equivalent
- Strong understanding of predictive and prescriptive modeling, artificial intelligence, and optimization algorithms
- Ability to manage priorities and coordinate tasks to solve day-to-day challenges in a dynamic environment
- Ability to leverage a technical mindset with a creative and analytical approach to problem-solving
- High degree of professionalism and ability to be trusted with confidential information
- Excellent written and verbal communication, interpersonal, organizational and project management skills
- Ability to relocate to Chicago, IL
- Ability to set direction, coach and develop others
- Demonstrated passion for hockey and familiarity with rules and terminology
- Values: Inclusive, collaborative team player, driven, humble, curious, innovative, positive, results-focused, accountable and high integrity.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital or veteran status, or any other protected class.