In order to be considered for this role, after clicking "apply now" above and being redirected, you must fully complete the application process on the follow-up screen.
Stanford’s Department of Athletics, Physical Education and Recreation:
Stanford’s Department of Athletics, Physical Education and Recreation (“DAPER”) is the premier intercollegiate athletics program in the country. We are the proud Home of Champions! We lead the nation with 133 NCAA team championships, have won the Women’s Capital One Cup four of the last five years and have brought home the Learfield Directors’ Cup for 25 of the possible 28 seasons. We support nearly 900 student-athletes who compete on 36 intercollegiate athletics teams and also support the university’s physical education, recreation and wellness initiatives. Our dedicated staff embody a culture of excellence, embrace our mission of scholar-athleticism and exemplify a relentless championship spirit. Our actions and staff are guided by the core tenets of the Athletics Department culture “The DAPER Way,” which are: Embrace Scholar-Athleticism, Pursue and Revere Excellence, Lead with Courage, and Work Cohesively.
Are you ready to inspire champions? If yes, then this may be the right opportunity for you!
Stanford University seeks a highly-motivated, energetic and team-oriented individual with exemplary communication skills. This position will be responsible for leading and executing publicity aspects for Stanford’s intercollegiate athletic program. Serving as a designated media liaison with independent decision-making authority, the successful candidate will be directly responsible for leading and executing all communications initiatives as the primary contact for football and likely one other sport. This is a full-time, exempt position based on the Stanford main campus with the option of telecommuting/hybrid schedule subject to operational needs.
Your responsibilities include:
- Possible personnel management, overseeing 1-2 team members.
- Develop the vision, strategy, and brand for assigned sport programs by managing social media accounts, creating content calendars and collaborating with other units to create and design artwork, graphics, and content for a variety of platforms.
- Incorporate key messaging points into daily content through a proactive approach and digital-forward growth mindset, consistent with the objectives outlined in DAPER’s Strategic Plan.
- Serve as the lead multimedia liaison between assigned sport programs and the External Relations department.
- Solicit feedback from sport programs and External Relations colleagues on objectives, goals, and strategies, in addition to creation and distribution of content.
- Facilitate multimedia student-athlete features in coordination with other departments.
- Responsible for the public relations functions for assigned sports.
- Design, write, and edit various communications materials, such as student-athlete bios, press releases, and feature stories for the department’s website conveying the voice of the coach, student-athletes and the program. Tasked with additional areas of functional leadership among the staff.
- Develop and maintain positive working relationships with local, regional, and national media covering Stanford Athletics.
- Promote student-athletes and coaches for national and conference awards.
- Coordinate content requests to and from Pac-12 Enterprises and Pac-12 Networks.
- Facilitate interviews and initiate media coverage by preparing logistics, materials and talking points to announcers.
- Maintain an ongoing understanding of industry trends, innovative platforms, and emerging media in a rapidly changing profession.
- Manage current and historical team information (rosters, statistics, record, photos, videos) of assigned sports.
To be successful in this role, you will bring:
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree and four years of relevant experience or a combination of education and relevant experience. Six years of relevant experience is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Creative problem solver with strong critical thinking skills.
- Builds collaborative relationships with internal colleagues.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team to meet expected deadlines and schedules.
- Effective time management skills.
- Familiarity with managing social accounts and serving as the primary administrator.
- Advanced graphic design and non-linear editing skills.
- Demonstrated aptitude in social media and proactive, strategic communication are essential. Confidence and familiarity working with web technologies, including basic HTML and CMS tools (such as SIDEARM). Advanced and demonstrated knowledge of statistical programs (such as NCAA Live Stats and StatCrew).
- Ability to travel occasionally and work on weekends and evenings.
- Ability to frequently perform desk-based computer tasks, sit, use a telephone and stand/walk. Occasionally climb stairs, lift/carry/push/pull objects that weigh up to 20 pounds, kneel/crawl, reach/work above shoulders and grasp forcefully.
- Familiarity with elements of Adobe Creative Suite
At DAPER we know diverse teams make better decisions for everyone, so we encourage people of all abilities and backgrounds to apply. If you think you have what it takes, but don't necessarily meet every single point on the job description, please still get in touch. We'd love to have a chat and see if you could be a great addition to the team.
This position, along with all DAPER coaches and staﬀ, is responsible for the integrity of Stanfordʼs intercollegiate athletics program and for the reputation of Stanford University. This position is responsible for ensuring that his/her/their involvement with Athletics Department activities maintains the integrity of the University’s reputation and does not negatively impact the relationship between the University and its faculty, staff, students and alumni. Additionally, this position must comply with University policies and procedures, NCAA and Pac-12 rules and regulations.
The expected pay range for this position is $75,000 - $90,000 per annum. Stanford University provides pay ranges representing its good faith estimate of what the university reasonably expects to pay for a position. The pay offered to a selected candidate will be determined based on factors such as (but not limited to) the scope and responsibilities of the position, the qualifications of the selected candidate, departmental budget availability, internal equity, geographic location and external market pay for comparable jobs.
Why Stanford is for you:
Stanford University has revolutionized the way we live and enrich the world. Supporting this mission is our diverse and dedicated 17,000 staff. We seek talent driven to impact the future of our legacy. Our culture
and unique perks
empower you with:
Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources.
A healthier you. Climb our rock wall or choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We also provide excellent health care benefits.
Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums.
Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing incentives, discounts and more!
* The job duties listed are typical examples of work performed by positions in this job classification and are not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary depending on department or program needs without changing the general nature and scope of the job or level of responsibility. Employees may also perform other duties as assigned.
*Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital or veteran status, or any other protected class.